Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were about to get the Rav's oils changed and have them do the repair on the EMC bearing when my mech sent me the pics attached. The clean ones are of the driver's side the rotten ones are the passenger's side. He has deemed the car very unsafe to drive. This is a 2007 ltd with 206K kms on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sat in a garage and taken out about a dozen times during the winter. It was usually fairly clean.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It must have been neglected for years to get to that condition.
no neglect. I babied that vehicle. Most likely has to do with the copious amounts of road salt they use up here and not having it sprayed. Still should not have rusted that bad.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
no neglect. I babied that vehicle. Most likely has to do with the copious amounts of road salt they use up here and not having it sprayed. Still should not have rusted that bad.
I take care of mine and have no rust like yours. I also live in an area with high road salt.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Seems like you can scrap it clean and weld some steel to the "frame".
I wouldn't let them take my baby from me without putting up some effort to save it.
Get a 2nd opinon. Does the repair guy also own the scrap yard?
You can get $320 for the wheels alone.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Evidence of Toyota rustproofing at its best! Apparently a lot of salt is used on roads during winter where you are located. Haven't seen that sort of damage since I lived in Minnesota years ago.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It sat in a garage and taken out about a dozen times during the winter. It was usually fairly clean.
Sitting in a 50 and less degrees garage after driving thru snow and slush, the underside will stay damp for days, being held on with a coating of sand and salt. Very conducive to rusting.

I park under the same conditions. I find going thru a car wash that has the under spray, as soon as possible after driving thru snowy conditions and once the temp goes above 34 degrees, helps prevent the rust from getting a start.

I still do a spring time full underbody clean and inspection. I clean off any exposed rust and use rust restore, covered with black enamel to seal. My 2013 still looks factory new underneath except that the exhaust system is starting to show it's age.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sitting in a 50 and less degrees garage after driving thru snow and slush, the underside will stay damp for days, being held on with a coating of sand and salt. Very conducive to rusting.

I park under the same conditions. I find going thru a car wash that has the under spray, as soon as possible after driving thru snowy conditions and once the temp goes above 34 degrees, helps prevent the rust from getting a start.

I still do a spring time full underbody clean and inspection. I clean off any exposed rust and use rust restore, covered with black enamel to seal. My 2013 still looks factory new underneath except that the exhaust system is starting to show it's age.

Have a good day.
They use tons of salt here, I'm surprised we don't have ocean living creatures in our rivers. The issue as I'm sure you are familiar with is that when it's nice enough to bring it in for a wash it's the same time that the streets are covered in slush and as soon as you drive out of the wash you car is just as dirty of and lets not forget all the new construction going on with dirty dump trucks leaving mud everywhere. So if it's not warm enough to get a wash it's too cold and the washes are closed. Again, like you, if we don't park it in the garage we can wake up to it covered in freezing rain which is a female dog to remove. it's a lose lose situation.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I agree. Best bet is the under spray cleaning w/salt neutralizer as soon as temps permit it. Even thought you're driving back home thru muck, it is still effective at stopping the salt corrosion by neutralizing new salt spray for a time.

In your case, a spring clean and inspection of the underside is a must if you want to keep your vehicle long term (10 + years). Wire brush, spray rust restore and cover with black enamel spray paint any rust discovered during the process.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm glad I don't live in Ohio anymore where they use salt. Here in Oregon, it rarely if ever snows and they never use salt. I have a 2007 RAV4 V6 sport with 200,000 miles and there is not a speck of rust on the frame anywhere.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts