Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know people, the new Grand-Vitara looks pretty cool too. I like it! Maybe its just the waiting thats got me looking at the Suzuki because Toyota is dropping the ball on the release of their new RAV. Suzuki rolls out an new 4x4 with V6 and Toyota has been months away, and even longer for their V6 model. Looks like Suzuki has "called out" Toyota and is ready to throw-down but Toyota has yet to answer. Suzuki has pulled off the gloves with immediate release of a V6 Vitara to head off Toyota fans by offering them a more appealing power plant. (debatable I know)

I know the Toyota will be better but Suzuki is doing a fine job of getting RAV fans to second guess themselves. Kelly please post a pic of the new RAV and the New Vitara here as a comparison for all to see.

The Vitara this time around will get more attention than in the past and I think they may give Toyota a run for their money. No doubt that both companies have fed the new versions Steroids because they are both a little bulkier and the extra size may be a good thing depending on the power plant you choose. Toyota needs to offer Diesel!!!

Thoughts anyone? Later. M. :?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Suzuki has been making V6 Grand Vitara's for quite some time now, nothing new. My sister has a 2001 Grand Vitara with the V6, and its power does not impress me. I am pretty sure that my 4.1 RAV with the modifications done to it will easily beat it off the line. :D

Not sure about the new 2006 Vitaras, but judging from my sister's car; the material and build quality is not even close to what Toyota produces. Also reliablility may be an issue down the line. My sister's Vitara already had to have her exhaust manifold replaced due to a crack in it. :shock:

Marcuito, I do agree that with the new styling of the Grand Vitara's; it will steer many potential RAV4 customers to Suzuki. I have seen them up close and they do look awesome. I would consider one too if not for the issues mentioned above. :D

·
Registered
423 Posts
In the UK we have been able to get Grand Vitaras with V6 and diesel engines for at least 5 years. Both on the current model and the previous model. On the previous model they were built in Japan and were an average motor, the trouble is that a lot of their models are built in Spain and the build quality leaves a lot to be desired. I think that in the UK Toyota are streets ahead of Suzuki and don,t really pose a threat, although I do think the new Grand Vitara is a good looker but looks arn,t everthing.
Clare

·
Registered
344 Posts
I saw a whole tractor-trailer/big rig on the freeway yesterday loaded with the new Suzuki Grand Vitaras, and I had to do a double take. They look a great deal like what you'd expect to see as 3rd generation RAV4s. :shock:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've driven the older V6 Vitara and wasn't impressed with the power or the fit and finish of the inside. The new one however promises a more reponsive engine and better overall quality. Still some competition to look-out for. I will drive the new Vitara and the new RAV to compare. M.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm glad someone posted this, or else I was going to.

I have no past experience with the Vitara or Suzuki as a matter of fact, but I hope I'm not being ignorant when I say, since it's still Japanese, I'd place it above Kia and Hyundai (Sportage, Sorento, Tuscon and Santa Fe).

There will only be 1 2006 Rav4 engine coming to the Caribbean.. a "revised" 2.0L. We won't be getting any V6. A small V6 would have been perfect though.

The Vitara is definitely a looker, and I'm going to test drive a V6 soon.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Not much of a fighterAccording to an article from motor tren

According to motor trend magazine they refer to this vehicle as the "grand illusion" they did not like the quality of the vehicle or the performance according to their November issue.

F

·
0 Posts
UK Magazine CAR has tested the new Vitara and was less than impressed giving it a 2 out of 5 overall rating. Summary of their findings was...

Assets
Looks neat and contemporary, good off-road ability, handles quite well, good value for a 4x4.

Drawbacks
Restless ride, lacklustre performance, coarse engines and transmissions, feels dated to drive.

Verdict
Not the advance we'd hoped for after experiencing the competent Swift. We await the diesel version with interest: meanwhile, a Kia Sportage is a much better bet.
I agree it looks very nice both in pictures and in the metal, but underneath it's still a Vitara and it seems not much has changed there. My first impression was it's looks are like a 4.2 Rav with a Freelander bonnet (hood).

Don't do it anyone despite the tempting price. It is priced low for a reason - low quality materials and poor engine. The new RAV will be a far superior car, I can guarantee it!

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Faraz said:
I'm glad someone posted this, or else I was going to.

I have no past experience with the Vitara or Suzuki as a matter of fact, but I hope I'm not being ignorant when I say, since it's still Japanese, I'd place it above Kia and Hyundai (Sportage, Sorento, Tuscon and Santa Fe).

There will only be 1 2006 RAV4 engine coming to the Caribbean.. a "revised" 2.0L. We won't be getting any V6. A small V6 would have been perfect though.

The Vitara is definitely a looker, and I'm going to test drive a V6 soon.
Beauty, in this case -- though that's not what I'd call it -- is only skin deep. Witness all the above mentioned reviews and add a history of problems with the brand in the automotive market. The quality of Suzuki's vehicles has always been in question -- sure, they might be able to make a good motorcycle, but that's about it.

Not just based on CR's findings, but based on countless glowing reviews from reputable automotive media and owners far and wide, if there were some reason I absolutely couldn't buy another RAV4, I'd buy a Sorento, SantaFe or Tuscon over a Grand Vitara any day of the week.

Consumer Reports' "Least Satisfying" Small SUVs
(according to vehicle *owners*)
Mitsubishi Outlander ................48%
Suzuki Grand Vitara ................48
Suzuki XL-7 .............................48
Land Rover Freelander ...........40

Consumer Reports' "Predicted Reliability" Small SUVs

Suzuki Grand Vitara Overview

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"You could put a piece of dog poop in a shinny new wrapper and call it an all new vehicle but in the end all your left with is more poo than you bargained for and a bad taste in your mouth for the next four years." :lol:

I think this is one of those instances. Nice package but all poo underneath it all. M. 8)

S

·
0 Posts
I really do think the new Mitsubishi Outlander will give the new RAV4 a run for it's money when it's launched. Looks good, Interior not as good as the new RAV4. The Outlander is also a 7 Seater but the extra 2 rear seats are only for kids.

·
Registered
423 Posts
looks like Suzuki came to fight this time

Amazing the similarity the Mitzi has to the new Rav4.3. I wonder if the two design teams drink together. The Outlander certainly looks alot better design than that horrible motor they call a Mitizi Panni, now that really was one for the bin. Funny that in the UK Mitzi have really lost the plot with their SUV range of motors, the Shogun is overpriced and they really haven,t got another offer!!
Clare

S

·
0 Posts
Nope I am positve you have the steering wheel on the wrong side and possibly you drive on the wrong side of the road Marcutio ;)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Long time since this thread was used but another Rav4 competitor that we are getting in the UK shortly is the Chevrolet Captiva. In the UK all Chevrolets were rebadged Daewoo,s but it seems between them GM are making a serious attempt on the UK Suv market. Vauxhall are bringing out the Antara and Chevrolet the Captiva looks like they want a piece of the action. Even Suzuki are bringing out a small 4x4 called a sx4 in the UK, Interesting!!!!!!!
Clare

1 - 20 of 27 Posts