Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a big problem with my 144 mile Sport V6 4WD. Around 50 miles there was a very small, intermittent squeal/whine kind of like a pump, from the back of the car - fuel pump?? It would happen so occasionally I figured it would be tough to trace. Around 130 miles (from new) it became a much louder, squealing when make a slight left turn. I then found I could shake the left rear wheel by hand even with the full weight of the vehicle on it. The lug nuts were completely tight - I checked.

At the dealer, it went up on the lift and you could rattle the entire wheel/rotor/caliper assembly. The wheel bearing assembly is coming apart, which would in turn lead to the wheel coming off. I had only been driving short journeys to and from work with no highway use. For that I am very, very thankful.

here is video http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v420/franco90/?action=view&current=2006-05-1801Loosewheel.flv

Toyota sent a person to check it out, said it was an isolated incident and that as parts are on backorder, the dealer should install parts on a car already in the dealers lot. I do not want parts from a vehicle already on the road (demonstrator car) put onto my new Rav. I will drive the loaner until the parts are in, which should be very soon.

In view of the stink I kicked up, an area Toyota person called saying she understood I had some concerns. My concern is the wheel was going to come off and it only had 144 miles from new. I now have a 7yr/75k bumper to bumper warranty, but have a bitter taste in my mouth.

I know everyone out there will say how reliable they are, believe me that is all I have heard from Toyota for the last 4 days. This is the first Toyota I have owned and right now my Wrangler I had for over 4 years is looking much safer.

Before this post becomes huge, I do have a video of the loose wheel in the shop. Its currently a big file at 6.2MB but if anyone wants it, let me know.

This is my first post (only had the car a week) and I do not check email more than a once or twice a day so if you do want to know more, please be patient.

I have to say that the Service Dept where I bought the car have been very helpful - my problem is not with them, but with Toyota and their assembly. The problem never showed up until at least 50 miles so there is no way the dealer could have known about it.

Toyota have said it was an isolated incident. For the sake of all the 06 Rav4 owners out there, I hope it is.

B

·
0 Posts
thanks for the video.

I can't believe the wheel was that loose.

Please update us as to what happens.
good luck

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would think this is an isolated incident. I won't pitch the company line to you but Toyota has an excellent track record. They hire regular humans just like everybody else and humans aren't perfect. Somebody obviously didn't do their job on the assembly line. It's unfortunate that you happened to be on the receiving end of this problem but I wouldn't write off Toyota just because of this one incident. It sounds like Toyota has stepped up to the plate and is taking care of the problem. Did they give you an extended warranty free? I'm not sure there is anything else they can do ... if you're looking for perfection seek God but he doesn't make cars. :D Just be glad you're not driving a Ford Exploder.

·
Registered
652 Posts
thecat said:
... if you're looking for perfection seek God but he doesn't make cars.
Are you sure? I think he's building a plant in Mexico.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last time I heard from the dealer (Thursday) they had a bearing and hub on back order so that's what I am hoping it is. They hadn't stripped it down at that point. Its now Monday and parts were meant to be in either last Friday or this coming Tuesday.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Sounds like it is not a matter of poor workmanship, just fail components. Dooge is famous for failing wheel bearings.

Good Luck

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I now have my car back after I finally got what I hope are new bearing, hub and carrier parts installed. Too bad it still has to go back to the dealer to repair the bodywork damage they did - presumably with the lift - and did not mention to me.

While it is back there, they can hopefully fix the astoundingly poor FM reception and the vibration from the right rear which I hope is simply the wheel in need of balancing although that's not good with only 500 miles on it. The loaner Rav4 had exactly the same 6cd stereo and had much better reception than mine.

All I have heard is how reliable Toyotas are - I am still waiting for that to show up. If I sound like a disgruntled owner, its because I am.

The NHTSA have asked for the video so hopefully it can be investigated at a decent level. After all we are talking about a wheel potentially coming off. If it is just my car, then I am happy for everyone else.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Janos said:
thecat said:
... if you're looking for perfection seek God but he doesn't make cars.
Are you sure? I think he's building a plant in Mexico.
:lol: :lol: :lol: If you're referring to the "Volksvahgun en ze haus!" commercials, that dude in the white suit is ze DEVIL!!! (same role in the movie, "Constantine". :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
91 Posts
you should just sell it and get a wonderful hyundai. I heard they never have problems and are made of diamond dust. :D

I've seen brand new cadillacs at the dealership come back after a few miles for a rattle that had crushed beer cans in the door. cars are made by humans and until they arent you will run into problems and mistakes.

dealership mechanics are the worst out of the mechanic work force. you have to take your vehicle to the dealership most of the time and they hire anyone who will work for mediocre wages. WAAAAaaay back in the day most of the mechanics at LLoyd Buick Cadillac BMW were straight up potheads and would get stoned at lunch while I worked there. It doesn't suprise me at all that your car was damaged on the lift while there for service.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
:shock: reminded me of that old country song by Kenny Rogers ... "you picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel"

Seriously, I hope they fixed it for you and it's not a wide spread problem.

·
Registered
270 Posts
You could always pick up one those Explorers with Firestone tires real cheap, or maybe a Pinto. I'll bring the marshmallows :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
51 Posts

bought a brand new honda civic back in 2000 due to their excellent track record. Mine SUCKED! Wheel bearing went bad at 11K and 45K, air conditioner completely broke at 36K and 80K, etc, etc, etc. I won't buy another honda but that is because honda wouldn't take care of me. Didn't honor new car warranty on ac cause dealer dragged their feet diagnosing problem, but even with evidence I'd been in the shop before 36K they wouldn't honor. Now I hated the car but it is to be expected. I'm a statistician so I deal in probabilities. I saw this poster once and one of my geek conventions saying what does 99% quality mean? It was something like say 10 babies a day are dropped during delivery, the number of airline crashes we would have. My point, is no one is perfect and I realize I got one of the few crappy hondas, and if they'd treated me right I wouldn't have left them, but they didnt' and now I have my 2006 Rav4 V6 limited, so yeah me!!!

Janet

1 - 16 of 16 Posts