Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
-2007 Toyota Rav4 V6 3.5 Liter-

My Rav4 is giving me many problems that the dealership or anyone is able to yet solve.

To mention in advance, I have already got my battery replaced, New Alternator and Battery Sensor and no Resolution.

The Car seems to be losing power in general. The following are the symptoms:

Losing Power
1. The Car will shut down after a period of 5-15mins of idling and having to Jump it to get it to start again.

2. All Lights in the vehicle flickering.

3. Suddenly losing Power Steering.

4. Speedometer goes back an forth at times.

5. Battery Warning Light constantly on, Check Engine and many other lights come on and go away simultaneously.

6. Every few days the the car will not crank unless I jump it.

7. Turning on the AC seems to speed the occurrence of all the above issues, the car will even shut off while I am driving if I have AC on.

Any help please!

·
Super Moderator
11,136 Posts
The obvious is to buy a new battery.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The obvious is to buy a new battery.
I think they did that already.

> To mention in advance, I have already changed the Alternator, Battery Battery Sensor and no Resolution.

Was there ever a remote start system installed? Maybe it's failing and causing problems?

·
Super Moderator
11,136 Posts
Good point DVS, I missed that completely. There is no mention of how long ago the battery was changed out however.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I think there is a poor connection somewhere. Without being next to the vehicle when the fault occurs, I am only guessing.

What codes are stored?

How about the other computers? If they have codes stored, perhaps it is a fault common to more than one computer.

You will need more than a generic code reader to poll the other computers.

Reactions: Diamondrop
S

·
0 Posts
my wifes car did those exact strange things some years ago. . . . . .bad wire connection to ground off battery.
As she drove it, connection would go on or off.
But the pros must have some idea on yours, fault codes?
Do you have to reset the radio stations after it burps?
you said eng stops after 5 -15 min. Does it shutter . . . sputter then quit, or quietly stop, as if you turned it off?
and after you jump it to start again, does it quit again or continue running?

I'll not be politically correct on this but . . .
Did you throw holy water on it and say 2 hail mary ? arf arf !

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sounds like an intermittent battery connection problem to me. Only way to fix correctly is to remove each connection, inspect, clean as-needed, and re-connect on both ends of all the battery cables. Once re-connected and tight, spray each connection point with fluid film to prevent future issues. Re-spray once a year to maintain. Do not spray while the connections are loose, it will only make the problem worse.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
bad/loose ground connection to the battery

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my wifes car did those exact strange things some years ago. . . . . .bad wire connection to ground off battery.
As she drove it, connection would go on or off.
But the pros must have some idea on yours, fault codes?
Do you have to reset the radio stations after it burps?
you said eng stops after 5 -15 min. Does it shutter . . . sputter then quit, or quietly stop, as if you turned it off?
and after you jump it to start again, does it quit again or continue running?

I'll not be politically correct on this but . . .
Did you throw holy water on it and say 2 hail mary ? arf arf !
Lol Scout 10. No I have not tried the Holy Water Idea.

I don't have a computer to get the fault codes, and yes I am having to reset radio stations after burps.

Yes the vehicle seems to shutter prior to quitting, I am usually able to temporarily save it by pressing the gas pedal.

After I jump it off, it runs normally with no issues whatsoever until the issues start to reoccur a day or so afterwards and I stop somewhere, cut the engine off, come back to realize it needs a jump again.

I will look into the "bad wire connection to ground off battery" That sounds probable

·
Registered
270 Posts
This is probably a long, long shot but the V6s had bad coils. I replaced all mine, at substantial cost, after the first one went bad.

I had some of the symptoms you describe but not all; intermittent shuddering, loss of power and after resting would start and run okay.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Really wild guess here: I had a problem with a 4Runner that would shudder and die at stop lights, but (like you have mentioned) could be temporarily saved by pressing the gas pedal--the issue turned out to be a clogged throttle position sensor due to the two O2 sensors being old and needing replacing (ended up replacing all 3 parts). However, this doesn't explain the dash lights you're seeing, so on second thought I agree, check the battery connections.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's quite possible your "new" alternator is
bad or a connection to it is loose. I went through three to get a good alternator a couple years ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SOLUTION!

I'VE FINALLY SOLVED THE PROBLEM.

Its unfortunate that no mechanic was able to solve it for me and that I had to do my own research to come up with the solution, and of course, with everyone's help on here we narrowed it down to the Alternator.

Apparently the Alternator I had originally replaced, which I got from NAPA was bad, so I just went ahead and purchased an OEM Toyota Alternator.

Beat it all, my NAPA alternator was still under warranty, took it back alongside the receipt, and NAPA would not give me a refund, best they could do was give me a brand new Alternator as a replacement. They claim the receipt I had was a quote!! and not a receipt. Whatever, I never asked for a quote when I purchased the Alternator, don't see why I would even have a NAPA quote. I recall them giving me that peace of paper as a receipt...

"NAPA know how" yeah right! NAPA knows nothing...

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I'VE FINALLY SOLVED THE PROBLEM.

Its unfortunate that no mechanic was able to solve it for me and that I had to do my own research to come up with the solution, and of course, with everyone's help on here we narrowed it down to the Alternator.

Apparently the Alternator I had originally replaced, which I got from NAPA was bad, so I just went ahead and purchased an OEM Toyota Alternator.

Beat it all, my NAPA alternator was still under warranty, took it back alongside the receipt, and NAPA would not give me a refund, best they could do was give me a brand new Alternator as a replacement. They claim the receipt I had was a quote!! and not a receipt. Whatever, I never asked for a quote when I purchased the Alternator, don't see why I would even have a NAPA quote. I recall them giving me that peace of paper as a receipt...

"NAPA know how" yeah right! NAPA knows nothing...
How did you pay for it....credit card, cash, check?
Btw, it should be obvious on the piece of paper you have if you paid a sales tax etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts