Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Rav4 4WD 3.5L MFI DOHC 6cyl
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first car and I'm looking to bump up the performance in both straight line and cornering any solutions on the cheaper side of things (totally stock 2007 V6 4wd)

·
Super Moderator
10,984 Posts
Another one............:rolleyes:
You can spend THOUSANDS and gain little to no performance increases. Save your money for insurance and hospital bills. You're going to need it judging by your title.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
Agree with RTF - unless living in a country with some unrestricted speed limits there is no safe and practical reason for wanting to do 125 mph or faster. But if so inclined, its better to buy a vehicle which will do such speeds in stock form, and then make certain that all health and accident insurance policies are up to date. Modding a RAV4 for excess speed is costly and members who have done so generally achieve only marginal gains.

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
I have a more practical solution. Go crazy with the RAV4 until you blow it up or wreck it. Then buy a Supra or C8 and have all the fun you want --- paying tickets, that is.

·
Registered
425 Posts
This is my first car and I'm looking to bump up the performance in both straight line and cornering any solutions on the cheaper side of things (totally stock 2007 V6 4wd)
Sounds like you're having a little fun on the empty freeways during this quarantine.
Have you thought about the MAX speed governor that most car manufactures build into their cars. I live in a state that had no max posted speed limit (reasonable and prudent.) Most of the cars I've had maxed out between 110mph and 115mph.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a more practical solution. Go crazy with the RAV4 until you blow it up or wreck it. Then buy a Supra or C8 and have all the fun you want --- paying tickets, that is.
I haven't driven fast in years, once and a while, I read the warning on the sun visor, tends to slow me down even more.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The speed is governed by engine rpm. Once you get to the max rpm the ecu allows it backs the power off. Unless you can reprogram the ecu to bump up the allowable rpm, it won’t go any faster, no matter what you do to it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Congrats on your first car!

1. Your V6 has plenty of power if it's running right. But there are common problems that hurt performance.

The good news is, some problems are easily do-it-yourself (DIY) fixable, at little or no cost. For example: bad spark plug wires... clogged air filter... vacuum leak.

2. DIY Vehicle Safety Inspection Checklist template - Free and customisable

3. Routine maintenance! Depending on miles since last serviced, you might need to change the engine oil & filter, transmission oil, differential oil, brake fluid, and ?

4. Online Service Manual might help, as described here: 2007 Rav4 Service Manual

5. A new suspension kit should do wonders to improve the handling of your 13-year-old RAV4. But that's not DIY for a novice. And not cheap -- especially if you want better-than-stock handling. And new wheels & tires?

6. 2007 RAV4 Pocket Reference Guide.

7. 2007 RAV4 Owner's Manual.

Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
5 Posts
125 MPH? I don't have the guts to do that. Sure I would love the speed, but even under the current conditions I wouldn't want to risk a ticket that might actually include jail time.

I have had mine up to 105 MPH. Middle of the night on a back country road, 11 1/2 hours into a 12 hour trip returning home. Rolled down the windows (in a Michigan winter), floored it, and it seemed like only seconds before I went from 55 to 105. I let off the gas right away, because I just wanted a shot of adrenaline to stay awake, and I was coasting back down to 55. And nope, I did not get a ticket at 105. Nope, but the I did get a ticket at 20%. What do I mean by 20%? 105 back down to 55 is a change of 50 MPH. I was 20% of the way from 105 down to 55 when the cop zinged me, doing just under 95 at that point.

Why am I sharing this story? I have the same 2007 RAV4 V6 AWD!
210,000 miles, still going strong.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got my 3/4 ton van up to 111 MPH on the Bonneville Salt Flats this past fall. (running dual GPSs to confirm speed) Our roads are empty and the police aren't really patrolling much right now so I rode my motorcycle last week for a bit at 121, but I rode it a couple miles at 110. Going fast in a slow vehicle is fun, but there is some risk.

If your RAV4 is your basic transportation I'd keep it as stock as possible so it will be reliable for as long as possible. Save your money for a project car that you can have fun with and "build" without the worry of breaking it or getting it back together on Monday morning for your drive to work.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Feel free to ignore half the "advice" given in this thread. The 2GR in the RAV4 is actually quite a capable performer and there are plenty of shops who are well-versed in modding and tuning it for multiple applications. There are S/C kits and turbo kits and plenty of N/A mods, not to mention tuning solutions; both stand-alone and ECU reprograms. The same 2GR is used in the Lotus Evora, for example and many people use it as a swap motor, especially in the MR2 community. With the AWD, a hefty drop in height, and a good tire, it's surprisingly capable. But let's be honest, that's subjective. Either way, there's plenty of room to improve the sportiness and fun of it. Bone stock, it has a better power to weight ratio than many sports cars and, at one time, was Toyota's fastest vehicle. Take a responsible approach and do your research. Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I believe drag increases exponentially as speed increases....with the stock height and aerodynamics of the Rav4, what top speed are you aiming for and why? Aside from the previous comments regarding legality and risk, unless you're willing to spend $$, adding 10-20hp won't likely get you any top end speed. Unless you can do your own fab work, a turbo or SC setup will run I'd estimate from $2-5k easy.
I bought a pair of headers and y pipe which might get me 20-30whp and that cost $1400 just for those 2 parts.
Also, are your current tires even rated for 125mph? Not being a high performance vehicle, the Rav4 may only have speed ratings of around 118 so unless you know your tires are designed to cope, you could be risking a blowout, wreck, etc if you don't check them.

I've owned bikes and multiple vehicles and have taken them to triple digit speeds on empty roads in the past but unless you're on a track or dragstrip or in a life/death emergency, it just seems pointless, IMO of course.

My suggestion would be to focus on handling/cornering and high performance tires first. Dropping the ride height will help some with your COG and to some extent, drag. You'll have better stability and you can also order under chassis braces and an engine bay strut tower bar. Then get some new Tockico or Sachs shocks/struts to control the dampening. Just my 2 cents lol

Jeremy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.