Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i bought a new head unit to replace my stock radio. I was loosening the nuts that hold the radio and in the process lost one in the gap.. I think I heard it fall somewhere near the cup holders and so I ventured in opening the rest of the panels.. so far I have managed to open the air control unit that sits below the radio, partly.. havent been able to get one of the wiring connectors off.. and also partially taken of the ashtray section.. which seems to be locked even from the bottom section.. How do I open up the rest of the panels.. anyone has a good video link?

I kight also need to figure out how to connect the the radio to the car.. here is what i ended up buying..
Kenwood DPX501BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

·
Registered
24 Posts
Attaching the radio is pretty simple. Disconnect the stock radio from the harness plug, purchase and aftermarket toyota specific harness from a parts store or Walmart. You wire that harness to your new Cd deck according to the wiring diagrams. Then plug that new harness back into the plug that is still attached to the car in the back that you removed the stock one from. If it's a single din Cd deck than you will also need a mounting kit to fill the gap and hold the unit in place, if it's a double din it should fit right into place and sit snug when either bolted or snapped into place depending on what's under the face plate. The only thing you should have to remove is the stock unit itself I'm not really sure why you are removing all those other parts it isn't necessary.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I believe you are taking apart the other panels because you lost the nut? You could just remove the other one carefully and go to any type of hardware store to match it up with a new one. This would avoid the headache and possible damage of removing all those other panels and knobs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Larchy,
Yes that is correct. I do have three of them.. so I will get the match size from hardware store. I wasnt sure if the one that fell down will interfere with something else.. and I dont have much experience with fixing cars.. so wanted to make sure..
so far have not found it.. here is what the car looks like (Capture1)

btw, in the lower four slots below the ash tray there were these blue and white connectors that were not connected to anything.. does anyone know what they are for? Seen here(Capture2)

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
The mostly likely spot to find the nut is behind the center console kick panels. They're pretty easy to take off - there's a plastic expansion anchor holding them on, back near the firewall. The type where the plastic screw spreads some wings behind the panel - remove the screw and pull the rest out of the hole. After removing that, they just swing out, there are tabs near the dash holding that end. There's also a real screw near there going through the shifter trim, but I don't think it needs to be removed. Push in the gas pedal so you can bend the driver's side panel around it. It's easier done than described.

·
Registered
24 Posts
@Larchy,
Yes that is correct. I do have three of them.. so I will get the match size from hardware store. I wasnt sure if the one that fell down will interfere with something else.. and I dont have much experience with fixing cars.. so wanted to make sure..
so far have not found it.. here is what the car looks like (Capture1)

btw, in the lower four slots below the ash tray there were these blue and white connectors that were not connected to anything.. does anyone know what they are for? Seen here(Capture2)
Yeah I understand wanting to look for it, maybe after you drive a bit you will hear where it is maybe rolling around its just me personally I don't like taking apart anymore plates and screws than I have to. I've been doing auto audio my entire life and you learn the more you touch the more that can break lol. The deck and mount will install into that middle hole. I will see if I can find a diagram as too what those blue and white plugs are, they are most likely some type of accessory plugs for options that came with other models.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for all the help...I am thru with the installation and quite happy with my head unit..next will be adding a sub and or changing the amp speakers etc...not sure when though..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts