Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2004 RAV4. Unfortunately a thief stole all my keys, while it was at only 12000 kms. It has now been at Toyota main authorized dealer in Nicosia, Cyprus for about 4 months now.

First I bought a set of keys, one main and one sub-key. It didn't work. They they said I need a new immobilizer. It didn't start. Then a new Central Computer. It didn't start.

After this, they said it needs another immobilizer, since at each attemp of start, one code erase itself. 4 attemps and you need a new one.

I paid for a new immobilizer. It didn't start. Now they say I need another set of new keys. (I already spent a fortune on all these).

Now I am awaiting a new set of keys, bu I am not sure of the result.

I don't believe that Toyota can't start a car they built themselves. But it is 4 months now that I am without a car.

Can somebody give me an idea what the problem ma be, or how I can proceed?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Welcome to the forums zeka. :D

You would be getting better responses to your problem if your topic is in the right forum. I will be kindly moving it for you to our 4.2 Faults & Fixes forum. There, you will find forum members who have the same year RAV as you do.

Here in the 4.1 forums are owners of 1995-2000 RAV4s that do not have the immobilizer feature that you speak of.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I know nothing about immobilizers on Ravs but I have some limited familiarity with them on other cars and a few things here do not add up.

First a dealer should be able to replicate a lost key with a transponder (which is the chip that stores the codes you are talking about) with the correct code without having to change the immobilizer. Why they have been unable to do this I have no idea, especially on a relatively new vehicle. Try another dealer.

Secondly, I do not know why you had to buy two immobilizers. I have trouble with the '4 codes and it is lost'. If this were true how would spare keys work? It is true that most spare keys will lose their codes if you do not use them and fail to work, but only after about a year of starts! On most cars, the code is not completely changed each start, just a few of the digits, hence you can swop between keys, even waiting months in between, without any problems.

All very strange. I would try elsewhere....or stop stealing cars :lol: !

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How can I reach at Toyota Motor corp and mention my complain

I already lost hope that the Toyota main dealer in Cyprus will be able to start my car. So it may be wise to complain to the manufacturer. Is there such thing that Toyota can't start their own car? I think Toyota Motor Corp should be aware of this problem.

However, I don't know the address of my complaint. Actually the main dealer here should have done this for me, but it seems they don't care much.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Re: How can I reach at Toyota Motor corp and mention my comp

zeka said:
I already lost hope that the Toyota main dealer in Cyprus will be able to start my car.
Are there any other Toyota dealers you can try? Either way... print out this file :arrow: http://rav4world.com/tsb/SS003-01.pdf and take it with you on your next visit and see if this helps them any :D

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The immobilizer reset procedure did not work since the cars made for US differ from those made for Europe. I am now searching for the European procedure.

In the meantime, we used the ECU computer and immobilizer of another RAV4 of the same year and same model. The engine didn't start. We used my car's immobilizer and computer in the other car, that didn't start too.

What's going on is still a mystery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts