Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, an older gentleman crossed the yellow line and took out our family hauler Rav4. 99% of the time, I drive my FR-S to work, but I had to drop some recycling off on the way in, so I took the Rav yesterday. As luck, or lack thereof, would have it, I was knocked from the middle lane to the far right lane when he clipped me. The guy said he blacked out at the wheel. The side curtain airbag deployed and I hit my left arm rather hard on the door handle, but X-rays showed there was no break.

My thinking is that this will be totaled due to the suspension basically being ripped off and crammed agains the firewall. My guess is that the transmission didn't like the axle being forced through the differential, either. Regardless, I don't want it back after this type of accident if they don't total it. I doubt they will get it to track straight or I'll be fighting alignments if they do a repair instead of a total loss. It was a great car for our little family. Considering the violence of the collision, I'm pretty happy with how she held up.

As for what I'll likely buy to replace it, who knows. I have car ADHD and miss my 4Runner sometimes. I also like the tomb like quality of my MIL's RX350. The new Highlander is very nice, too. I'd rather none of this happened so I could have kept plugging along happily with our Rav4. Now I have to make a decision! haha

·
Super Moderator
11,110 Posts
What a shame!!! Also time to give thanks that you're still walking & talking.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Major bummer! You walked away, that's what's most important. Be firm with the insurance companies.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Glad you are ok and sorry for your luck. Looks like it was quite the hit. I would be hoping its a write off too.

So I guess that was a small overlap crash?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Shame about the RAV4, but glad to hear you're okay.

By the looks of the road I'm guessing the speed limit is 45 or so? Just curious because the RAV4 seemed to do well in this crash.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Glad to know you are fine Quentin. I wonder if the newer accident avoidance mechanisms would put the RAV4 drive in more peril.

Too bad, you are likely going to move away from the RAV4 but good luck on your next vehicle. Sounds like you are a Toyota/Lexus fan.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Sorry that crash happened and for what it did to your RAV, but fortunately you're OK! Looks like the RAV did a good job of protecting you.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I hate seeing a beloved car wrecked. Good to see the small overlap changes resulted in better driver protection. Looks like a a total loss to me. So, time for a 2016 if it's written off?

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Quentin's profile says that his RAV is 2014, small overlap structural changes reportedly were not incorporated by Toyota until the 2015 model year. If his RAV didn't have that change his report and pics indicate that the RAV offers good protection even before the structural changes came into being. Yep, his RAV looks like a write off.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I lost my Rav4 July 21 almost the same way you did. I had less damage than yours and my insurance totaled it. Mine was the same color as yours. I'm glad your all right.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Major bummer! You walked away, that's what's most important. Be firm with the insurance companies.
Yea, I'm going to have to fight tooth and nail, I think. I did a quick search on cars.com to see what it would cost to hypothetically replace it with the same vehicle, and I can't find anything under $27k for a similar mileage '14 Limited with technology package.

Glad you are ok and sorry for your luck. Looks like it was quite the hit. I would be hoping its a write off too.

So I guess that was a small overlap crash?
Yea, it was probably actually a little closer to the upcoming 15% overlap test rather than the current one. I believe the current one is 25% overlap. The overlap test is also into a solid object rather than another car, so this crash was a little less severe than what the IIHS small overlap would be.

Shame about the RAV4, but glad to hear you're okay.

By the looks of the road I'm guessing the speed limit is 45 or so? Just curious because the RAV4 seemed to do well in this crash.
It is a 45mph section. In the southbound lanes, I'm making a right curve that will go up the hill. I was still accelerating from where I'd turned onto the road 100 yards back. He was coming down the hill and drowsy from having driven from South Carolina to WV that day. It is a terrible design for a road and preys on inattentive drivers. Wrecks happen all the time; semi trucks come off the hill too hot all the time and roll over at the bottom of the hill. The signage is confusing for people that don't drive there regularly.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad to know you are fine Quentin. I wonder if the newer accident avoidance mechanisms would put the RAV4 drive in more peril.

Too bad, you are likely going to move away from the RAV4 but good luck on your next vehicle. Sounds like you are a Toyota/Lexus fan.
Not sure what you mean about newer mechanisms putting the driver at more peril.

I am a pretty big Toyota/Lexus fan. The Rav was my 3rd and the FR-S in my garage is sort of my 4th.

Sorry that crash happened and for what it did to your RAV, but fortunately you're OK! Looks like the RAV did a good job of protecting you.
I'm pleased with it all things considered. My arm was sore for a day after it hit the grab handle on the door but no issues now. Once the soreness subsides, I'll likely be absolutely fine.

I hate seeing a beloved car wrecked. Good to see the small overlap changes resulted in better driver protection. Looks like a a total loss to me. So, time for a 2016 if it's written off?
As mentioned below, mine is a pre-CM vehicle. The Rav fared poorly on the test specifically due to footwell intrusion prior to the structural countermeasure. The torso, thigh, arm, head scores were all in the good range from what I recall. Had this been into a solid object (wall or large tree where the vehicle completely stopped rather than glanced), it would have likely been worse. Just goes to show that the tests don't directly translate into every crash scenario even though it looks like a small overlap on the surface.

Quentin's profile says that his RAV is 2014, small overlap structural changes reportedly were not incorporated by Toyota until the 2015 model year. If his RAV didn't have that change his report and pics indicate that the RAV offers good protection even before the structural changes came into being. Yep, his RAV looks like a write off.
I still haven't heard back from insurance. My family of three is running around in my FR-S and my wife's 10 year old weekend only MINI Cooper at the moment.

@RAVBABY Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad to hear that yours was written off, though.

I already had vacation scheduled for today, so I did some test driving after I dropped my daughter off at pre-school. I was able to look at the 2016 Rav in person at the dealer. I'm not thrilled with the chrome door handles on the Limited and I really don't want to be stuck driving my FR-S through winter as we wait for inventory to bring in the right interior, right exterior Limited hybrid. I drove a 4Runner Trail Edition, Highlander XLE, NX200t, and IS300 at the Toyota/Lexus dealer. 4Runner was as excellent as I remember, Highlander was super nice, there isn't much reason to buy an NX over a Rav4, IMO, and the IS300 was shockingly impressive. Sadly, we really need an SUV/CUV in the family somewhere, so adding the IS to our little FR-S and MINI fleet wasn't going to happen. With my wife dead set on a MINI Clubman late next year, it seems like it might be the right time to get back in a 4Runner. As a friend once told me, you never get rid of 4Runners. You are just between 4Runners. Plus, they have crazy good resale, so we could move to a Rav or Highlander without totally losing our ass.

Thanks for all the well wishes, BTW. They are appreciated.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts