Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience dealing with a lost or stolen key fob at a dealership? what did the dealership due?

·
Registered
736 Posts
So you dropped your car at the dealer with the FOB, and returned and they didn't have it?

How did you drive your car home - or have you not yet?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you dropped your car at the dealer with the FOB, and returned and they didn't have it?

How did you drive your car home - or have you not yet?
Went to pick up my car & 1 fob was missing. We still had one fob. Fob's for the 2019 Rav's cannot be deactivated once coded to a car. Someone is walking around with an active fob to my vehicle. It's been a month long situation dealing with the dealership & just trying to get them to replace the fob they lost or was stolen while in their possession. A police report has had to be filed as a result as well.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Why can't they deactivate the old key? I beleive Techstream can delete all keys except for the one Being used.

I would think about getting another one from ebay and programming it yourself with TECHSTREAM. Not good if you lose the only key you have.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I am unfamiliar with Toyota specifically for replacements. But for Ford when you get a new fob all fobs used for the car (we added one) need to be reprogrammed at the same time otherwise the existing ones cease to work. I would ask a dealer/service center other than your current one how key/fob replacement works.

And you gave them one and they "lost" it and forced you to use your second to retrieve the car? Thats uber sketchy customer service.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I am unfamiliar with Toyota specifically for replacements. But for Ford when you get a new fob all fobs used for the car (we added one) need to be reprogrammed at the same time otherwise the existing ones cease to work. I would ask a dealer/service center other than your current one how key/fob replacement works.

And you gave them one and they "lost" it and forced you to use your second to retrieve the car? Thats uber sketchy customer service.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Went to pick up my car & 1 fob was missing. We still had one fob. Fob's for the 2019 Rav's cannot be deactivated once coded to a car. Someone is walking around with an active fob to my vehicle. It's been a month long situation dealing with the dealership & just trying to get them to replace the fob they lost or was stolen while in their possession. A police report has had to be filed as a result as well.
Why did you have both key fobs in the car or on the key chain? Anyway, techstream can definitely deactivate all key fobs. They would need to erase the seed for both the car and key and get a new seed using the toyota tech website and re seed it into the car and current key fob. If they told you that the new rav4 key fob cannot be deactived, thats just a bunch of BS. Hopefully you got Toyota Corp. involved because they can even tell you that the key fob can indeed be earsed and reseeded.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Smart key

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why can't they deactivate the old key? I beleive Techstream can delete all keys except for the one Being used.

I would think about getting another one from ebay and programming it yourself with TECHSTREAM. Not good if you lose the only key you have.
Dealership is claiming they can activate multiple fobs but cannot deactivate any exisitng fobs. I'll have to contact another dealership to find out if what they are saying is true.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I know there's only a certain amount of Keyfobs that can be registered. Do you have TECHSTREAM? Lots of good threads on here to check it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why did you have both key fobs in the car or on the key chain? Anyway, techstream can definitely deactivate all key fobs. They would need to erase the seed for both the car and key and get a new seed using the toyota tech website and re seed it into the car and current key fob. If they told you that the new rav4 key fob cannot be deactived, thats just a bunch of BS. Hopefully you got Toyota Corp. involved because they can even tell you that the key fob can indeed be earsed and reseeded.
I'm still waiting to hear back from Toyota Corp Canada. We're looking into getting techstream.

·
Registered
381 Posts
For 2019/2020, one can't add a smart key like previous versions. Seed code is needed. I verified this myself, and with one of local auto locksmith.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Very surprised to hear that they can't be deactivated. At least with earlier models, all the keys could be deactivated with the Techstream and then any available keys could be added back in to make them work. That is a basic security feature offered by Toyota and most manufacturers. Did the dealership tell you that? I would call Toyota technical support to confirm that. That just doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I stop at the "seed code" screen since I do not want to mess up myself. I'll return the unlocked smart key purchased from ebay and have a Toyota dealer program an additional smart key for me. It costs about $240 over the phone consulting but actual price may be more.

And how much did the seed code cost if you dont mind saying

1 - 19 of 19 Posts