Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
161 - 176 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Re: The saga continues... and possibly ends?

juda5 said:
Question -- why does an EVAP code turn off my Traction control and disable my 4WD?
I don't think it does. I think the designers are just attracting more attention with more lights plus having a light go on even if a bulb or two is burned out. I have no proof for you.

·
Super Moderator
11,205 Posts

Carbon said:
juda5 said:
Question -- why does an EVAP code turn off my Traction control and disable my 4WD?
I don't think it does. I think the designers are just attracting more attention with more lights plus having a light go on even if a bulb or two is burned out. I have no proof for you.
Well, if the lights are on those functions are defeated and 4WD can be a major loss in snow/ice areas. If they've made a simple EVAP code do it it's almost a crime. This protecting us from ourselves has gone too far - to the point of getting dangerous!

But I guess we should be glad they don't program limp-home mode for a bad backup bulb! :egad:

·
Registered
4,075 Posts

Dr. Dyno said:
Well, if the lights are on those functions are defeated and 4WD can be a major loss in snow/ice areas.
I have seen posts that state that the 4WD etc functions go away with the lights on. I have suspected that may be a myth. I am not saying that is a myth, but I am skeptical.

·
Super Moderator
11,205 Posts

Carbon said:
Dr. Dyno said:
Well, if the lights are on those functions are defeated and 4WD can be a major loss in snow/ice areas.
I have seen posts that state that the 4WD etc functions go away with the lights on. I have suspected that may be a myth. I am not saying that is a myth, but I am skeptical.
I have a different combination of lights but I can definitely say 4WD is OFF :egad: when the light is on, at least in my case. http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28831

·
Super Moderator
11,205 Posts
NYPD said:
Could of saved more money just removing the entire intake system and installing an aftermarket intake.
We're talking the vapor recovery system not the engine air intake. I doubt the EVAP system can be removed. They sure put it in a stupid place especially for a thousand dollar part - under the floor under the driver's feet. :doh: One look at mine and the way the thin sheet metal cover is made and mounted (and dented in) sure says no more deep snow or offroading for this buggy!

·
Registered
6 Posts

Carbon said:
Dr. Dyno said:
With the codes tripped, I could not engage the differential lock.

I also tested 4wd a couple different ways -- I found a patch of ice & attempted a doughnut -- usually I can hang the rear end out a bit before the VSC kicks in and starts beeping like crazy -- not this time. I was unable to hang the rear out at all -- I was front wheel drive only. I also got stuck in my driveway -- in reverse, right rear wheel up on a snowbank, and the front right wheel was the only one spinning. Sent my son out to verify that I had been reduced to 1-wheel-drive.

I did not test the cruise control.

As soon as I cleared the codes (before I left my friend's parking lot,) I verified that I could hang out the rear, at least until the VSC started screaming again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
same thing happened to my wifes car not impressed with toyota's response either. they could care less . We have bought our last Toyota!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hit a (shallow) pothole going 60 and canister filter fell off. I dragged it down the road a bit until I could find a spot to pull over. End result is a big hole in the filter housing. This is an '08 model. There's a partial metal shield, but the filter housing clips onto shield with a wimpy plastic clip. Now I have the dreaded 3 lights. Plan: replace filter housing - reset computer - hope.

I miss my Subaru!

·
Registered
1 Posts
5/1/13 Have over 100k miles in 07 RAV 4... hit a puddle of water today and had to search online for the hose that I dragged unknowingly for a hour in the pouring rain and ended up here. The hose with the U bend that came from the front of the vehicle broke off the filter and there is a 1/4 inch dia hole in the top front of the filter. When I turned the filter water poured out of it. Is there anyway this vehicle is at least drive-able to the dealership???

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,922 Posts
5/1/13 Have over 100k miles in 07 RAV 4... hit a puddle of water today and had to search online for the hose that I dragged unknowingly for a hour in the pouring rain and ended up here. The hose with the U bend that came from the front of the vehicle broke off the filter and there is a 1/4 inch dia hole in the top front of the filter. When I turned the filter water poured out of it. Is there anyway this vehicle is at least drive-able to the dealership???
Yes, it's just an emission control device, the vehicle is perfectly safe to drive. It might turn on your check engine light, but not a big deal.

·
Super Moderator
11,205 Posts
Yes, it's just an emission control device, the vehicle is perfectly safe to drive. It might turn on your check engine light, but not a big deal.
Agreed, but maybe a big price if anythings broken! armyguyenglish, you might want to have the '09 guard from this TSB http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2009/T-SB-0098-09.pdf put on to help avoid future problems.
I just bought one and was a little disappointed it wasn't metal but one look underneath at all the unprotected "organs," hoses & wires :eek: told me something had to be done.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Agreed, but maybe a big price if anythings broken! armyguyenglish, you might want to have the '09 guard from this TSB http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2009/T-SB-0098-09.pdf put on to help avoid future problems.
I just bought one and was a little disappointed it wasn't metal but one look underneath at all the unprotected "organs," hoses & wires :eek: told me something had to be done.
reviving an old thread...did anyone ever find a good part# for this service bulletin? I tried looking up the part in the service bulletin and it comes up to something that doesnt look like the pic in the bulletin.

161 - 176 of 176 Posts