Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys help ?...my 96 rav 4 auto is making a very loud noise when turning...sounds like a creaking groaning noise that has got worse over the last few months...the more lock you use the noisier it gets...does it when going in reverse too...does not happen on very gentle turns...{no noise when turning steering when stationary} but the more steering lock you apply the noisier it gets...sound almost like the front and rear wheels are fighting each other !...thanks fellas. :oops:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive had a very loud sqealing noise coming from the same front side when vearing left for a while.... i think it was the cv joint or the shock absorbers...

once i lubed up the cv joint and replaced the shock abrorbers (shock absorbers had a leak) the noise went away....although sometimes it sounds like it wants to come back ....

anyone has any thoughts ?

thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

I had a creaky, groaning noise at the front when turning.
The first garage I took it to couldn't find a fault and put it down to a "dry nut".
The noise got worse as time went on. I took it to a Toyota dealer who immediately diagnosed the problem as a worn wheel bearing.
It had actually become unsafe so best get it checked asap.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chris,

Thanks for the comment ....can you telll me how much did it cost to have the wheel bearings checked?

Like yourself the garage couldnt find what was wrong.....

i better have the wheel bearings checked

again thanks

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This noise is not like a wheel bearing...this is loud...people look in parking places when you turn the car at 2 mph...but corner at speed and there is nothing...as i said before its like a real loud creak and feels as if the front and rear wheels are fighting eachothers grip...at any low speed...say under 25mph...=creaking and groaning every turn ?...thanks for ideas so far fellas ! :roll:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Creaking noise

I have a 1999 Rav4 that I bought new and I've had this happen. The problem with mine turned out to be a cracked rim. I have steel rims and there was a small crack near the outside of the rim, and when you make a turn, the weight of the vehicle causes the crack to grind on itself.
Not only did it happen once, I had a total of 3 cracked rims in the span of a year and a half.
The first one took alot of investigation to find, but the second and third time, I recognized the noise right away.
I contacted Toyota to see if there was a common problem with this and they told me that there was not.
I guess I had a bad batch of rims, only 2 more and I will have replaced all 5 (including spare)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts