Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new 2009 RAV4 4WD in Mar 2009.
I found this forum because I have a loud humming noise when the speed is close to 40 mph. The faster I go fast, the louder the humming noise.

Surprisingly, the noise started around 35000 miles. At that time, the tire thread was about 4.2 mm. When the tire thread became 3.2 mm, I could not tolerate the humming noise anymore. I replace the 4 tires with Michelin tires. Then, my car became quiet when I drove. However, when the mileage was close to 50000 miles, I started hearing the humming again. The humming noise became audible when the speed was close to 40 mph. Today, a car mechanician did the test drive and diagnosis. He told me that the noise came from two bad rear wheel hub bearing. It will cost $1181.73 to repair the problem. Is this diagnosis correct? I feel $1181.73 is costly. Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
731 Posts
There is no way to tell if the diagnosis is correct without having the vehicle to test. The rear bearings also have ABS speed sensors so they are not cheap.

The book time to replace both of them is 3.8 hours

The Toyota bearing is $478.28 Part number 424500R010

So you have about $956.00 in parts. The rest is labor ($225.73) so their labor rate should be about $60.00/hr.

These calculations are correct only if they are using quality Toyota parts, which is all I recommend for this labor intensive job. You don't want to get cheap parts and have to do this again in 3 years.

Perhaps one bearing is making most of the noise but they want to be sure and replace both bearings. A wheel spinner can isolate the bad bearing. Both bearings being bad is unlikely. I have seen it, but it's rare.

Wheel bearings don't come and go. What confuses me is the noise went away after the tires were replaced. You could have cupped tires if they haven't been rotated since they were installed

You said the RAV had 35000 miles when you replaced the tires, and now they have 50000 miles so the tires have 15000 miles on them. I like to rotate tires every 15000 miles so it is due if they haven't been rotated since they were installed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Toyota RAV4 Forums:

Your response is very informative. I did the tire rotation every 5000 miles at Toyota dealer shop. The new set of 4 tires was rotated at 50000 miles (i.e. 5000 miles for use of the new tires). But the rotation did not affect the loud noise.

Thanks

Dianne

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.