Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Rav4 V6 Limited
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speakers one day went full volume white static on me when I started the car. I tried turning it down, turning it off and on, I pressed all the buttons and no luck. Only way was to turn off the car. Afterwards no audio from from my speakers at all. My radio is able to turn on and off, volume and be turned up and down, change stations, but to no audio available. I would drive in silence for a month or two and the speakers blast full volume white static noise again while I'm on the highway. I had to exit and turn off the car just to be able to do anything. Then silence again for another month or two. I checked all the wires to the JBL speakers and behind the stock stereo, checked the amp in the rear, checked the fuses; all look ok to me. The volume increase and decrease at ease just no sound at all so I'm guessing the amp is ok. All speakers put out no audio. If only one or another doesn't then obviously it is that but all puts out no sounds except that once a month or so of loud static noise. The radio works like intended which got me confused especially all the wires and connectors going out to the speakers all look ok. Did I miss something? Did I break anything? Should I just light the car on fire?

It mainly started after going camping and through some rough roads but the radio still had output for a few months after...

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Likely the JBL amp is bad. It is located behind the rear passenger side by the wheel well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That loud static happened once to me years ago while driving down the highway, and it never happened again. It’s worked fine since. Bizarre!

·
Registered
592 Posts
checked the amp in the rear
You can open the amp in the rear and post here some pictures. Most likely the capacitors of final stages are going bad and the amps are self-oscillating. In my opinion, the electrolytic capacitors should be replaced every 15-20 years to maintain initial performance.
If you do please take a picture of the chips too (they are on the side, in thermal contact with the radiator.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts