Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am a relatively new owner of a 2010 RAV4 V6 LTD and I am very happy with it. On couple of occasions I heard a loud "thunk" sound from the rear. Once from the right and the next day from the left. In both cases it sounded like a compressed spring suddenly expanding and hitting on metal. ...or the sound you hear when a tire pops when it is first being installed on the wheel at the tire shop during inflation.

In both cases, the sound occurred during either a left or a right turn at relatively slow speeds over uneven pavement where the chassis would flex.

There are no lights on the dash. There are no other visual or sound indicators that anything is wrong. I checked with Toyota online and my RAV4 has all of the recalls performed and nothing is outstanding at this time.

What could it be? Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Maybe the jack or the tool kit is not properly secured in the compartment in the rear of the RAV. Also could be the spare wheel mounting bolt being loose.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AHA! That's a good idea. I did mess with the jack recently. I will take a look.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Also look at the rear tie rod ends. It is a turnbuckle design, and rust gets inside causing rust and eventual separation. Several recalls attempted to address the problem by tightening in a specific order which didn't work so they make the toe adjustment and encapsulate the assembly with epoxy and put a nice label on it saying don't touch.

The new RAV4 uses a cam system to make the adjustment.

Hopefully it is the jack.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^
Thank you! I'll take the car over to a trusted mechanic and take a look at the rear tie rods. I am aware of the recall on those, but I also don't like the way Toyota handled it. I am all for replacing the tie rods with new ones, even if they will fail in a few years. New parts are always better than epoxied ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts