Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a real love - hate relationship with my RAV, and I'm wondering if anyone else feels that way...... Overall I love it but there are some features that I absolutely hate.......

LOVE: :D
The 161 hp compared to the 115 hp in my '98
The exterior styling
The dash layout except for the gauges

HATE: :evil:
The rattling cargo cover that has to be removed for tall objects
(The soft cover in the first gen was more practical)
The gauges, gimme a big tach with the big speedo
The down shifting on moderate hills in cruise control.....with 161 hp?

Anyone........now's your chance..... :wink:

M

·
0 Posts
It's hard to know what I love about the RAV, because there's just so much about it that I like so damn much. So I'll cheat, and just say how much I love driving the RAV. I've been through a couple of vehicles, small ones to 4x4 trucks, and the most fun of all to drive has been the RAV. Driving, even through heavy traffic, is never a chore, only a pleasure.

What I dislike is easier. :)
- That inane, stupid front cup-holder. If only Toyota had done what they did with the Hilux - a little bracket that flips out of the dash, and actually holds things securely. But the RAV's... ugh, it's useless except as a tray. :roll:
- The cup-holder for the rear seats. How many times have I leant on that centre piece with my elbow, only to find I've placed my elbow (and weight) on the cup-holder... to be followed by expletives and vile curses. One day, I swear, I'm gonna rip it off. :x
- That damn exhaust that's the lowest thing under the vehicle, and is routed right down the middle - exactly where it most affects ground clearance. :(

I really can't think of anything else, right now, that I dislike about my RAV.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Bluenoser said:
I'm having a real love - hate relationship with my RAV, and I'm wondering if anyone else feels that way...... Overall I love it but there are some features that I absolutely hate.......
Other than the cargo cover, which I've simply now removed from the vehicle and the cup holders (which I consider a relatively petty dislike), I can't honestly think of too much I don't like about the RAV4.

There are however some things that bother me about Toyota's marketing of the RAV4 in the US;

• The fact that Toyota doesn't think enough its' North American customers to offer options such as a Navigation system.
  • The fact that Toyota in their infinite wisdom does NOT produce a diesel RAV4 for the USA. I would love to be able to have a diesel getting 45mpg or better on the highway.
  • The lack of a "6th gear" which would effectively lower the RPM at speed and move the "sweet spot" for driving the RAV4 from it's current 60-65 mph to around 80 mph where most of us actually drive.
  • The fact that Toyota markets lots of options for it's (IMHO) silly-looking Scion xB and tC which would fit the RAV4 without needing modification while completely abandoning or ignoring the RAV4's potential aftermarket. I guess Toyota feels that we (the actual customers) aren't "interested" in such paltry things such as a supercharger, 6-cd MP3 changer, etcetera.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I'm a new owner and only have had the RAV for two months. I love the vehicle but this is still the honey moon period.

What I tend to dislike:

I bought the RAV dispite the "orange" lighted, white face dinky gauges. Geez, even Honda makes clearer more readable gauges.

I don't like that cargo cover either. I removed it after struggling with it a few times when I loaded groceries in the rear. Yep, the cup holders suck, too.

All Toyotas should come with keyless entry. Gads, this isn't the 60's. Why did I have to add the dealer TDS system to get it on mine?

Hmm, I can't think of anything else for now.

Engine power is adequate and fine for me (w/5spd FWD). But I would always like more if mileage doesn't suffer. I am not worried about modifiing the vehicle for more performance. My two highly modified Chevys combined have nearly a 1000hp and over 1000tq combined. If I need to go fast I'll take one of those.

I need a practical, nibble driver that has amble storage and gets good mileage. The RAV is just what I wanted after I did an extensive search of the alternatives.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Bluenoser said:
The 161 hp compared to the 115 hp in my '98
In defense of the old-style RAV4, that was 127 hp in your '98. Still underpowered, though. I love the way it loses momentum on even the slightest hill, but it's more the fault of the economy-minded transmission that wants to stay in higher gears.

The soft cargo cover still isn't as good as the window-blind retracting cover in my Subaru, but it's not bad. That hard cargo cover in the 2001+ RAV looks like it would be hard to work with.

What do I like? The size--not too big and not too small. The steering and handling--proves you don't need lots of power to enjoy a car that handles well. The build quality--5-1/2 years on the road, no rattles and everything works perfectly. Very solid.

What don't I like? The driver's seat position could be better. I'm only average height and I'd like to be able to sit farther from the wheel, but I've already got the seat as far back as it goes. The huge rear door--more often awkward than convenient.

Can't really think of much else. Owned it for 11 months now and still feel like I'm in the honeymoon stage.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Modderrhu said:
It's hard to know what I love about the RAV, because there's just so much about it that I like so damn much. So I'll cheat, and just say how much I love driving the RAV. I've been through a couple of vehicles, small ones to 4x4 trucks, and the most fun of all to drive has been the RAV. Driving, even through heavy traffic, is never a chore, only a pleasure.

What I dislike is easier. :)
- That inane, stupid front cup-holder. If only Toyota had done what they did with the Hilux - a little bracket that flips out of the dash, and actually holds things securely. But the RAV's... ugh, it's useless except as a tray. :roll:
- The cup-holder for the rear seats. How many times have I leant on that centre piece with my elbow, only to find I've placed my elbow (and weight) on the cup-holder... to be followed by expletives and vile curses. One day, I swear, I'm gonna rip it off. :x
- That damn exhaust that's the lowest thing under the vehicle, and is routed right down the middle - exactly where it most affects ground clearance. :(

I really can't think of anything else, right now, that I dislike about my RAV.
Hmmm, maybe it's just your 2-door model, but I don't experience any of the forementioned negatives in my 4-door. In fact the cupholders was my favorite part of the car! Ground clearance seemed pretty high. I even have mine lowered and have installed a under-car neon kit and there seems to be plenty of room under there to clear random things on the road like bottles and other gunk.

·
Registered
875 Posts
LIKE:
-exterior
-safety rating
-handling
-removable and adjustable rear seats is a definite plus
-4 cupholders and a ton of secret compartments I keep discovering.
-speedometer location on the side rather than the middle. I tend to drive with one hand near the top, and locating the speedometer on the side gives me a better view of it.
-grocery bag hooks
-ability to convert the 5 seats into basically a bed by removing the headrests of the front seats, pulling them forward and leaning them down as far as possible to become flush with the rear seats. Perfect for a nap or drive in movie!
-3 holes in each windshield squirter rather than just 2 like other cars.
-height
-seating position allows for optimal knee clearance UNLIKE the toyota landcruiser.
-5spoke rims.

DISLIKE:
-lack of power to a point where I kinda need to time it when i merge into a freeway from an onramp.
-I used to not like the orange lit dash, but have grown to like it.
-lack of power
-pathetic sized compartment under armrest.
-no LED bulbs on my version of the rav4.
-no lock for spare tire
-lack of power
-loud cabin (i can hear road noise and people can hear my music)

·
Registered
986 Posts
My Rav is about to hit 82,000 miles, which is barely broken in for a Toyota, but it has given me plenty of time at the wheel to figure out what I like and dislike about the vehicle. The thing that I like the most is the reliability, because aside from the catalytic converter issue, I haven't had to fix anything except for routine maintenance. The thing that I hate the most is the comfort, more particularly the noise on the highway and the seats. Everything else I like or dislike is not very significant one way or the other. I have driven my Rav hard since day one, but since I have always taken good care of it, the Rav has never let me down. My feeling about the amount of engine power is neutral, because it has enough power during 80% of my driving, but could use more when on the highway.

Things that I like the most:
- Reliability and low cost of ownership
- Traction in the snow
- Versitility in a compact size
- Cup holders
- Field of vision
- Braking/handling

Things that I dislike the most:
- Cabin noise
- Seats
- Pedal room
- Structural rigidity (squeaks and bumps)
- Fuel economy (OK but could be better)
- Paint durability

If and when I decided to get another vehicle, it will probably be something that is more quiet on the highway, since I do a lot of my driving on the interstate at 80mph and the noise tires you out after a while.

·
Registered
471 Posts
strangelly it seem to me that we share similar likes and dislikes, but heres my list:

Like:
- exterior body
- hood scoop
- 4wd
- that its better then CRV
- how easy to modif it is
- miles per galon
- smaller then most SUV's
- hangling with bad conditions
- that it has a hand break and no that stupid pedal parking break
- tachometer
- hook in back
- removable/foldable rear seats
- ability to make a bed out of seats
- the stock little wide body kit

Dislike:
- that mine is auto tranny
- poor acceleration with auto
- cant turn traction controll off like in 2wd
- they could have made it more off-road compatible
- no diferencial lockers
- really small amount of off-road accesories for it

E

·
0 Posts
LOVIN' IT! :lol

-161 hp... a wolf in sheep's clothing
-cargo room... just enough for two mountain bikes with the seats REMOVED
-sporty design
-full-time 4WD... awesome handling in both wet and dry roads!
-a "fun" truck-like suspension (compared to car-like ride in a CR-V)
-fuel efficiency
-5-speed manual... fun to drive
-It's a Toyota.

HATIN' IT! :?

-FM reception (with two different head units)
-Interior has too much plastic.
-Not too responsive when you step on the gas sometimes (although I have found ways to compensate)
-lack of ABS on the Canadian Chili special edition

I really had to think hard because I can't seem to find many faults about my RAV4. I paid for what I got. :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
EHinthe604 said:
-FM reception (with two different head units)
I have to say, I installed a Scion T1804 mp3 deck that I got off e-bay and noticed a dramatic improvement in radio reception. Where I used to have trouble locking a radio station at my dad's house (45 miles away), everything works as it should now. I don't know that I could pick up stations from "200 miles" like some people seem to want to do, but the fact that I don't lose reception of the stations that I already listen to is a huge bonus to me.

Wayne

M

·
0 Posts
zoomie said:
Hmmm, maybe it's just your 2-door model, but I don't experience any of the forementioned negatives in my 4-door. In fact the cupholders was my favorite part of the car! Ground clearance seemed pretty high. I even have mine lowered and have installed a under-car neon kit and there seems to be plenty of room under there to clear random things on the road like bottles and other gunk.
Yes, ground clearance is pretty good, if you tend to stay on the tar - for more clearance than a typical sedan. But following along well-used tracks, where the preceding vehicles have worn ruts where the tyres go, that middle bit can get pretty damn high. :( The 4.2 is definitely lower than the 4.1 too.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hmmm...things I don't like about my Rav....

She's not a 2-door. :roll:

The tonneau cover is kind of a hassle sometimes. But at least mine doesn't rattle.

The infamous dashboard squeak can be a little annoying.

That tiny dent in the gas door from when I walked into it when it was open (I had had a really stressful day and was out of it...not really Toyota's fault :wink: ). Oh and I think she might have a rock chip or two that I need to touch up.

Um...let's see...she needs a bath and an interior cleaning right now because I've had too much going on lately to take care of these things. :?

That's about it!

Everything else I love! And I actually really really like the front cupholders. But remember, I had a 4.1 with NO cupholders for years until I added them, so the cupholders are pure luxury for me! :lol:

Becky

E

·
0 Posts
Alien18 said:
EHinthe604 said:
-Not too responsive when you step on the gas sometimes (although I have found ways to compensate)
I dont like that part too. wats ur method of getting a better ecceleration??
On first gear, I wait for the clutch to catch then I give it a lot of gas and rev it up as I fully engage the clutch (without "slipping" the clutch). When I shift to second, I give it a little more gas...

Kinda hard to explain... still trying to prefect the "art". :lol:

Oh yeah, one more pet peeve about the RAV4... because the 4WD is full-time, power is not concentrated in either the front or rear axle. Thus, sometimes, when I accelerate too hard, I end up slipping the clutch, which makes me cringe.

E

·
0 Posts
Oh yeah... one more complaint about the tonneau cover... when you put it on the lower position, it interferes with anything you put in the mesh pocket on the inside of the tailgate! I almost damaged my tonneau cover when I slammed the tailgate shut, with a water bottle in the mesh pocket. :p

M

·
0 Posts
"She's not a 2-door." Sorry, Becky, but there's no demand for 2-door RAV's, you know. :wink:

So I had a good laugh last night. I have a rather large mug at the office, which I decided to take home. Took it to the car, got in, and I found the cup-holder to be a perfect fit, it was brilliant, I tell ya! :lol: Perhaps the cup-holder is decent... but only for big cups. Still can't hold a colddrink can firmly like the Hilux's could.

This topic has actually got me thinking about what I do love about the RAV, and here's what I came up with this morning; the RAV's big feet. 245/60R16 tyres stock on a 2-door model, looking for all the world like a body that's built around the tyres. I love my RAV's big feet. :)

It's rather curious how so many of the US people consider the RAV to be underpowered. Come on, guys, it's only the US (and perhaps Canada) that gets the 2.4l engine - the choices here are a 2.0l with the 4WD, or a 1.8l with 2WD. Maybe it's just that the US is only now realising the idea of being frugal with fuel instead of being lavish with power?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Maybe it's just that the US is only now realising the idea of being frugal with fuel instead of being lavish with power?
AMEN!

people nowadays are leaving their big monster trucks in their garage and driving their wife's more fuel efficient 1.XXL cars..... :roll:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Modderrhu said:
It's rather curious how so many of the US people consider the RAV to be underpowered.
I don't. Not at all. However, if I had one thing I would change, it would be to install a 6-speed manual which lowered the RPM at highway speeds.

I -- like most of you I presume -- tend to drive 75 to 80 mph, not 60 to 65 and I believe the addition of the 6th gear overdrive would raise the sweet spot just enough to make driving at those speeds far more pleasurable.

Just took my first long trip to New Orleans with the 2005, and I have to say that while I love it on shorter jaunts (~2 hours), the RAV4 will absolutely wear your butt out on longer trips, unlike my previous car (a 2003 Honda Accord). The higher RPM and the much louder cabin noise is what gets you. By the time I got home, I was exhausted from just the drive.

Wayne

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Wayne said:
Modderrhu said:
It's rather curious how so many of the US people consider the RAV to be underpowered.
I don't. Not at all. However, if I had one thing I would change, it would be to install a 6-speed manual which lowered the RPM at highway speeds.

Wayne
I agree. I like the idea of a 6 spd with 2 over drive gears. I have a 6 spd (T-56) in my Camaro and the 6th gear ratio is .5:1. From the factory the car came with a 3.42 diff gearing that resulted in an effect final drive of 1.71! I eventually went with a 3.73 diff and I still need to be going about 65-70 to get the car into 6th gear and not lug the engine (particularly since I modifed the engine). I have off line performance and very low RPM highway cruising speeds. Its the best of both worlds that only a 6 spd offers.

I think the 2.4L engine has enough TQ to accomodate a lower ratio final drive and a 6th gear would indeed be nice.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts