Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '97 RAV recently reached 100K miles. It has been mostly trouble free and I now have more respect for my rav! I recently changed all the belts, seals, and water pump. The mechanic also recommended I change the fuel filter, Oxygen sensors (???) plugs, wires and cap. Can I change all this myself, or should I just have the mechanic do it?

Also, my A/C doesn't work anymore. When I attempt to turn it on, the green A/C light (on the button) turns on, but the air doesn't get cold. I remember hearing a little click in the engine when the A/C turns on... I don't hear that click anymore. Could this as minor as a fuse? Or something major? I know i need to bring it back to the mechanic, but what should I know or ask to make sure I don't get ripped off?

Thanks in advance. It's so cool to find a website dedicated to my car... 8)

·
Registered
432 Posts
The filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and oxygen sensor can all be done yourself. Its all quite simple. If you need instruction on how to do it, just pick up a Haynes manual.

I should imagine you just need to recharge the system. You can get the recharge kits at any auto store. Then follow the instructions. I recommend one with the refridgerant and lubricant all in one. Some even have a pressure gauge, which is a good thing. Hope this helps

B

·
0 Posts
clashboard,
Yes, dnylrq is spot on...however, if you are going to change the o2 sensor yourself, you'll need the o2 sensor socket, which last time I bought one, was about $10. Also, make sure you soak the sensor in PBBlaster, say every day for a few days prior to pulling it out...it'll come out very easily that way.

Bogatyr

M

·
0 Posts
here is a socket for an O2 sensor ? i always used a big wrench.... But isnt there a wire sticking out ?

·
Registered
432 Posts
yeah, the socket has an opening cut out of the side to allow the wire to spin with the sensor. But you must disconnect the other end of the wire prior to removing the sensor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm... sounds confusing

most of this sounds really confusing to me. Understand, I've never worked on a car. I have changed the oil myself two or three times, but that's about it! I might pick up a hayne's manual, and see what I can handle.

J

·
0 Posts
clashboard said:
My '97 RAV recently reached 100K miles. It has been mostly trouble free and I now have more respect for my RAV! I recently changed all the belts, seals, and water pump. The mechanic also recommended I change the fuel filter, Oxygen sensors (???) plugs, wires and cap. Can I change all this myself, or should I just have the mechanic do it?

Also, my A/C doesn't work anymore. When I attempt to turn it on, the green A/C light (on the button) turns on, but the air doesn't get cold. I remember hearing a little click in the engine when the A/C turns on... I don't hear that click anymore. Could this as minor as a fuse? Or something major? I know i need to bring it back to the mechanic, but what should I know or ask to make sure I don't get ripped off?

Thanks in advance. It's so cool to find a website dedicated to my car... 8)
The most probable reason you dont hear that "click" anymore is because the system has discharged somehow.....these A/C systems use a pressure switch that will disable the compressor clutch if the system is low on refrigerant. While recharging the system will more then likely fix only half of your problem, the other half is why did it discharge? These A/C system are, for the most part, sealed systems. The probable causes for this are a pinhole in the condenser or evaporator, a sticking schrader valve or sticking TXV, a bad O-ring or a loose connection. Its just a suggestion.....but based on the year of your RAV, I'd suggest replacing the receiver/dryer too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts