Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Joyce & I just bought a used Rav4 a couple months ago. We mostly love it so far! First impressions; Getting used to the extra gear changing & the stiffer ride. The newer ones ('16 +) are supposed to be better.
The power is adequate. The '03 Sienna we had, had more ooomph, but was also thirstier. It handles well, has a handy backup camera & bluetooth, which our 19 year old daughter loves! The seats are good, the rear area is huge & I appreciate the spare tire being INSIDE the car now! I liked the previous version but didn't like the swing out rear door. I like that Toyota has kept the engine bay uncluttered & roomy for service work. I just had a bad experience trying to do my first oil change - I broke the oil filter cap (it was over-tightened before I got it) trying to remove it Come on, Toyota! - a plastic oil filter cap? I've ordered a new, metal one. Plastic trim around the wheel openings are a good idea. Well - designed folding rear seats, better than the Honda CRV Tight turning radius is a bonus too. We're pleased!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
Congratulations on your "new" 2014 LE! And Welcome to RAV4World!

Edit: Oh, and the dog is right, cats are too expensive! :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Welcome Larry Tenhage & fellow Ontarian & another Larry here.
- so should be easy to remember my name...HeHe

I didn't see what year of used RAV4, you posted...sorry.
- wife's RAV4 is a 2008 Limited v6 and can honestly say, its the best used car we've owned in 40 years
- funny how one likes or hates the Gen3 rear swing out door
- I've trained our family Doberman to stay in the vehicle, until invited out
- but a lift up door with an untrained puppt or dog, allows more of an escape route
- and I'm old fashioned , maybe that explains the desire to keep the spare tire outside
- cross boarder shopping a few times, the trunk was loaded with boxes & I was glad the spare wasn't inside
But these SUV's are made so well, Toyota has to make changes in new models...just to freshen them up.

BTW - insist your teenage daughter turn off the radio noise & still rely on shoulder checks...backing up to park.
- the rear camera with added technology distractions can be a new & false sense of confidence ...now accident causing

·
Registered
158 Posts
Welcome! Thanks for filling out your profile! It will help in the future! Also glad to hear you like the rav4 so far! I would agree with pretty much all you have said. I still don't understand the plastic oil filter cap but at least they make a metal version.

Reactions: Larry Tenhage

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm not sure why my profile pic doesn't show up, I don't see others either.
Our Rav is a 2014, base model. I had seriously considered the 3rd gen, as it has some very strong points. The interior is better in some ways than the 4th gen. I'm a bit divided on the ('14) exterior styling. Everything needs to be so "chiseled" now, and the 3rd gen has nice flowing lines. I'm getting used to our '14, though.
The third gen, imho, does the swing out door well- it's well constructed & has the handy floor storage in the back.
Both my wife & daughter have ended up backing the Rav crooked in our driveway, because they were focussing so much on the backup camera. We talked about the importance of not forgetting to use the rear mirrors & shoulder checks!
I don't even own a cell phone, (still have a cassette player in the garage!) so I'm not addicted to the tech part. So we talked about going easy on that area, don't get too distracted while driving, etc.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
I'm not sure why my profile pic doesn't show up, I don't see others either.
Your profile pic is fine--I see it on your profile page. It's your avatar that's missing. I saw it yesterday--the dog that did the math. Today it's gone.

·
Super Moderator
11,139 Posts
Welcome!

I don't even own a cell phone, (still have a cassette player in the garage!)
I also have a cassette player but no cell phone? You must be the only person in Canada over 3 years old without one. We dropped our land line about 10 years ago and rely on cells.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
Welcome!
I also have a cassette player but no cell phone? You must be the only person in Canada over 3 years old without one. We dropped our land line about 10 years ago and rely on cells.
We still have our "landline", but it's VOIP now. Piggybacks on our cable internet. Way cheaper than a real landline, and we still have the same number from 30 years ago. My wife doesn't own a cell phone. When she goes out shopping, I give her mine so she can call me on my fake landline!

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
I don't
I don't even own a cell phone, (still have a cassette player in the garage!) so I'm not addicted to the tech part. So we talked about going easy on that area, don't get too distracted while driving, etc.
Yep, we also have loads of cassette tapes and a component player with our audio system. I do have a cell phone but it's in my RAV's glove box and basically is for emergency use. My wife has a smart phone. But we still have our landline phone - it's the only communication service we have which is totally reliable. Mexitech allegedly can intercept and decode cell phone traffic. Cell phone service has gone out at times, but the only time our landline phone has gone out was when a dumbbell contractor who apparently didn't consult the service line maps took out the cable while digging. But that took out our cell phone service as well since that also cut electrical service to the tower and the backup power lasted for only an hour. Even then we still had local landline phone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts