Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Low Fuel Indicator & Cooling Fan System

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  edde 
G
#1 ·
Since I got a used 2 Door, 96 RAV4, without a manual, there are two things that I am unable to find out:

1. Low Fuel Indicator – I generally never get it that low for it to turn on. But when it does, it turns on for a minute or two and then turns off. Is it always working like this or will it sometimes always stay on? From what I understand, the 96 RAV4 should have 15.2 gallon tank, my indicator comes on after ~ 11 or 12 gallons have been used.

2. The Radiator Cooling Fan – When a car is, fans are off unless AC is on, and then both are running. At what temperature will one of the fans turn on? It is getting hot for the past few days and I noticed that, without the AC, neither of the fans turns on.

#3 ·
My cooling fans kick in when the temperature gauge is just over the half-way mark. They come on with a thunderous roar. After a drive, park up, and leave the engine on for a few minutes. See if they come on. Keep an eye on the gauge to make sure you do not overheat!

The fuel light flickers as the petrol sloshes around in the tank.

G
#6 ·
Have you resolved your fan problem since your last posting? My fans began behaving in the same manner just this morning. I found a blown fuse and replaced it but that didn't fix the problem. The guy at O'Reilly's told me that the circuitry for the A/C control of the fans is separate from the high coolant temp control. The store didn't have a Haynes manual and the local library was closed, so I couldn't check the info myself. I've placed an order for a manual and will research whether it is the coolant temperature sensor (is that the proper nomenclature?) or a relay. In the meantime, I'll drive with the A/C on. Good thing we're having record highs in Missouri.

If you've resolved your problem, did it deal with either of the items I listed above?

G
#7 ·
Sorry for the late reply to you. I was on the road trip and did not have a chance to check this untill now.

In any case, I have discovered that the fans were not kicking in becuase it was not that hot for them to kick in.

As I was on the road trip, in very hot & warm areas, I heared and saw one of the fans kick in for a little bit when needed then shut off once it has reached an acceptible temprature.

As always, both fans were on when AC was turned on.

#8 ·
RAVer said:
1. Low Fuel Indicator – I generally never get it that low for it to turn on.
i`m driving a 1997. i notice of late, the fuel indicator would drop very fast. usually a full tank would take me about 380km. when it reaches about 200 km, the fuel indicator is already almost in the last quarter. the last quarter will take me to 380km.

It used to show quite accurately for the half way mark, meaning at 200km, the fuel indicator was half way. Is there anything I need to clean, check etc ?

Thx.......

G
#9 ·
About the low fuel guage. I'd have to check the manual but on most vehicals a light that comes on and then goes off means you have about 3 gallons left and when you have 1 gallon or less it stays on steady. just a guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.