Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello--

My Rav has 87K original miles and we are original owners.

Recent work performed:

1. I replaced the cold start sensor and it did not improve the cold start idle.

2. Dealer cleaned throttle body

3. I adjusted throttle cable at both increase idle end and spring back end.

Idle is low enough to cause it to idle rough. Here is how it idles:

1. Idle is low at cold start up (neutral) 500rpm

2. Idle is low (550-600rpm) when normal operating temps... at stop lights or when recently started after a quick stop at store.

3. When AC is on it is about the same but can get down to 500rpm

What more can it be?
How can I check . or use process of elimination and on what parts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Did you pull the codes? That's the best place to start. Next check for intake leaks or broken vacuum hoses. And the idle speed valve may have problems.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to get my hands on an OBDII Reader and see if any codes come up. Is it possible to have issues and not pull a code?

·
Registered
101 Posts
EGR valve is a good one to look at too. I hate those things.

You can get your codes read at about any auto parts store for free. Also, you can pull the codes yourself with a paperclip. Plenty of sites showing how. Try googling "read toyota CEL codes paperclip".

Yes, you can have problems that don't throw a code, and you can have codes thrown that are virtually unrelated to the actual problem. I just finished a MR2 with a CEL that translated as "bad distributor or ECU". The timing belt was broken.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So,

Idle is still low (below 700rpm) when ambient temps increase to about 78F or above (like today in SoCal). Hasn't been much of an issue lately, as we have been in 60s-low 70's for several months here in SoCal.
Cold days, idle is around 700rpm.

Coolant temp sensor was changed to see if this helped. It did not.

New Plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor, and throttle body cleaned.

What about IAC or Throttle Position Sensor? Would a code reader tell me this.....still have not had codes read.

BTW....car runs great!!! It's just the low idle (below 700rpm) at stop lights/signs

Thanks

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, 3MZ-FE, E250F 4x4, Torsen Dif
2,163 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If there are no codes, then check the throttle position sensor or idle air control (IAC) valve that can cause this however, often this is caused by either a vacuum leak or a dirty throttle body. I would highly recommend replacing all vacuum hoses if you haven't done so already.[/url]

Thanks for the response! I'll stop by AZ/OR after work today and have them perform a scan. I'll post results.

What vacuum hoses are you referring to?
Is there a type/size I should look for?
Do I purchase in bulk and cut to size or are there various diameters of hose involved?

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts