Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 Rav4 hybrid Limited only gets about 31 to 33 mpg. I've had the car about 6 months with about 6000 miles of mixed driving. The dealer says the computer is working fine and it should get better after my first oil change. Does this sound right??
I also have a 2012 Prius so I'm familiar with Hybrid driving (averaging 48 mpg). Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
Prius weight is 600 lbs less then RAV4, better aerodynamic, smaller wheels and most importantly smaller 1.8L engine. Is your RAV4 AWD? If it is .. throw that into comparesion too :) I think 31mpg is pretty good if spec says 34/31 I wish I had that haha.. getting 24.5 avg with 2017 XLE AWD

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sounds right to me, I am getting around the same numbers. Better numbers in summer, worse in Winter.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
My 2017 Rav4 hybrid Limited only gets about 31 to 33 mpg. I've had the car about 6 months with about 6000 miles of mixed driving. The dealer says the computer is working fine and it should get better after my first oil change. Does this sound right??
I also have a 2012 Prius so I'm familiar with Hybrid driving (averaging 48 mpg). Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks
You don't state how you're getting that number. But on the whole its not unexpected for mixed-use driving. 5000 miles is about where the car starts to loosen up and do better. The second you get on the freeway it really goes to crap. The 2.5L in the Rav burns 25-50% more gas than the 1.8L Prius engine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 2017 Rav4H average consumption is 34,6 mpg after 2928 miles. The mgp is according to tanked gas amount. The average gas consumption meter of the car shows 35 mpg for the first 2928 mile. The first oil change was done after 2800 miles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You're in normal range at 31-33 I believe. If I drive like I've got an egg under the gas pedal, I can hit 40-42 in the city, but check out my Fuelly results below for my overall results. Compared to my wife's 2011, which barely gets 20mpg in the city, I can easily get mid-30's. It's a larger vehicle, as another member indicated, so you won't get 48. What you might do is check your tire pressure and tweak it a little higher. I'm at 36 psi, and it still drives smoothly around town.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have had my 2016 RAV4 Hybrid for a little over a year and will soon get my first oil change, however, since I hit 7,000 miles, my gas mileage has seemed to improve. At the present time I am averaging 34.5 MPG using the ECO mode around town and the Normal mode on the highway, driving 65 to 70 mph. I am very pleased with that and also with the overall operation of the RAV4, no problems whatsoever. As stated above, it will never get near what a Prius does in MPG.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've had the RAV4 Hybrid since April last year. I have a lengthy commute which is mostly highway. Approaching 43,000 miles and averaging 35.1 on Fuelly. I think it would have been higher if I had started tracking from the time I got the car because it was starting to get warm then. I cannot be anymore happier with the car its been great so far.:smile

·
Registered
422 Posts
I don't believe much in any miracles happening after an oil change or a magic mileage driven. Most mpg is gained by changing driving behaviour and then picking up som eco skills. Try not going faster than 60 mph on highways and try to predict what is going on 10-15 seconds ahead when approaching roundabouts, traffic lights etc. Preserving momentum is usually good also.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
I've had the RAV4 Hybrid since April last year. I have a lengthy commute which is mostly highway. Approaching 43,000 miles and averaging 35.1 on Fuelly. I think it would have been higher if I had started tracking from the time I got the car because it was starting to get warm then. I cannot be anymore happier with the car its been great so far.:smile
That must be quite a compute, with that many total miles. At least the RAV4H (hopefully) makes it comfortable.

·
Registered
229 Posts
That must be quite a compute, with that many total miles. At least the RAV4H (hopefully) makes it comfortable.
The quiet cabin and smooth ride make it quite comfortable. Unfortunately, I hit traffic too, but I get better mileage in traffic so even that doesn't bother me anymore because the engine isn't running in the hybrid in stop and go traffic if you time it just right.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Had it one year now, does short trips in city, mostly. Fuelly states 26.5 MPG US for me, really got more thirsty during winter. Like it anyhow.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I put my wife's on eco mode. Those not active on rav4world or prius chat or have a money tree in their backyard sure will not care about any fuel savings. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts