Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I did my first MPG calculation, and it comes to a whopping 15.5 MPG. Can this be possible? Yes, I am a bit of a leadfoot, and I would say 90% of my driving is in the city. But still! Something seems mighty wrong here!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Your a very lead foot or you truck is busted. But if you do a lot of jack rabbit starts from light to light, 15 MPG is not out of the question.

Buy a scangauge II, hook it up and watch the fuel flow versus your driving style. It will pay for itself in 6 months

They are advertised in the upper right had side of the RAV4 world page

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think it's completely normal. the 4x4 V6 has an EPA of 21 mpg. So if you are a big lead foot, flooring it from one place to the next I doubt you would get much better than that.

Remember when you floor it or pass your MPG goes below 1, so it's the coasting and cruising that brings your MPG back up, hence the low city mileage.

We took our on a long trip and got 25 MPG the first tank and 27MPG the second, but this was just totally on cruise control going about 70-80 mph. Our city driving was around 20, but I tried not to floor it much as we've only had it for a few weeks.

Sorry, probobly not the answer you wanted to hear. :cry:

·
Premium Member
6,684 Posts
I'm heavy footed too, but I still get 16-18mpg in town, got 19 once, 25-26 hwy. Give it some break-in time, my first hwy trip was 24 something, next one with over 500 miles on the odo was almost 27mpg. Still getting 16-18 in town at 1800 miles which I'm very happy with, the Trailblazer I had got 14-15 in town!

Tim

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. As long as I know that it's not an insanely low number, I suppose I could live with it. Yeah, I do have lots of "jackrabbit" starts off a red light, and I know city driving hurts MPG tremendously. Especially in NYC, where you can hit every light on your route if you're having an unlucky day. I guess I'll try to lighten up on the gas!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am heavy footed too and my MPG is about 20. And I am happy with it.

Used to own a Jeep Liberty that barely got 12 for the same driving habits.

So don't worry, be happy!

:)

·
Registered
379 Posts
DTphonehome said:
Well, I did my first MPG calculation, and it comes to a whopping 15.5 MPG. Can this be possible? Yes, I am a bit of a leadfoot, and I would say 90% of my driving is in the city. But still! Something seems mighty wrong here!
Nope! That's about right. I'm always looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 16 mpg. I feel a lot better now too. I thought I got the worst mpg's DT, but you got me beat. You REALLY must be a leadfoot :p

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
inlets said:
Nope! That's about right. I'm always looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 16 mpg. I feel a lot better now too. I thought I got the worst mpg's DT, but you got me beat. You REALLY must be a leadfoot :p
Yeah, well you live in the wide-open spaces of South Florida, while I live in Midtown Manhattan! So there! :p

·
Registered
59 Posts
DT. Your in Manhattan. what can you expect. I just returned from a long stay in the apple. I had a LeSabre rental. that sucker could not get past 15 mpg.
My I4 Rave is getting 23 on average with a lot of around town,2 mile trips. Will take first long trip to Hot August Nights in Reno at the end of July. I will then have an idea of the mileage I can expect on the rd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts