Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm going to be changing my spark plugs this weekend. My hope is to increase the rev range on my Rav. Since I bought it, it doesn't want to rev past 4000rpms. From what I've read in various threads, this is a fairly common problem. I'm hoping the spark plugs are the problem, I might change the wires while I'm at it. Will be posting pictures.

Also, noticed oil on top of the engine above where the spark plugs go in. I will post pics and update as to whether or not the new spark plugs help. I've also thought of hollowing out the cat, as we don't have emissions testing where I live.

1996 RAV4 2 door, 3s-fe engine, manual trans, fulltime 4wd.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey guys, I'm going to be changing my spark plugs this weekend. My hope is to increase the rev range on my Rav. Since I bought it, it doesn't want to rev past 4000rpms. From what I've read in various threads, this is a fairly common problem. I'm hoping the spark plugs are the problem, I might change the wires while I'm at it. Will be posting pictures.

Also, noticed oil on top of the engine above where the spark plugs go in. I will post pics and update as to whether or not the new spark plugs help. I've also thought of hollowing out the cat, as we don't have emissions testing where I live.

1996 RAV4 2 door, 3s-fe engine, manual trans, fulltime 4wd.
Hello,

I had that problem to.

I gave the car more cold air put new sparks in it and closed off my EGR valve and now i can easely go above 6000 rpm's.

Also put an oilcatch tank in it .

So if you have no emissions testing there then begin with closing off the EGR Valve and give the airintake alot of cold air and you could try to emty your cat but i would first try the above. Because if you just emty your cat the exaust will make a clunky noise inside the car.

And now once it goes it goes as a speer .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I replaced the spark plugs and wires with all NKG parts. It's definitely smoother than before but still won't rev past 4,000rpms.

1. Did you just replace the stock air intake with an aftermarket cold air intake? If so which one?

2. Where is the EGR valve and how do you close it? (We don't have emissions testing where I live.)

I have thought about emptying the cat but I don't think that's the real issue. Thanks again for the input!

-Ross

·
Registered
4 Posts
check the distributor, also you can check the amount of current supply that reaches the spark plug if it is appropriate or not, I happened to me that had the distributor rotor broken so the spark taxes the other way and did not reach the amount of necessary current to the spark plugs
I have a question concerning the cancellation of the EGR
Live at 3650 meters above sea level, it is necessary to annul the EGR to improve performance?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I had a check engine light on since I bought the Rav, the guy I bought it from said it was an O2 sensor. I checked the engine code today and it was an O2 sensor, as well as an engine code for an error in the EGR system (P0401). Either my EGR valve is really clogged up with carbon, or my VCV (Vacuum control valve) is bad and needs to be replaced in order for the EGR valve to work properly. The first step will be seeing if the EGR needs to be cleaned. Does anyone have a good way of getting the lower hose off the valve? I can't fit a wrench in to take it off.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Update: I had a check engine light on since I bought the Rav, the guy I bought it from said it was an O2 sensor. I checked the engine code today and it was an O2 sensor, as well as an engine code for an error in the EGR system (P0401). Either my EGR valve is really clogged up with carbon, or my VCV (Vacuum control valve) is bad and needs to be replaced in order for the EGR valve to work properly. The first step will be seeing if the EGR needs to be cleaned. Does anyone have a good way of getting the lower hose off the valve? I can't fit a wrench in to take it off.
Just block the EGR Valve off with a plate between the engine and the egr valve.

Search the Forum here and you will find the answer how to do this.

And you can have a look here to http://chiptuning.com.au/egr_blanking_info/

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update 2: I checked the EGR valve and it is working fine. I ordered a new VCV and a new EGR modulator. I will hopefully replace these two parts this weekend. Will try and post some photos of how I get the VCV out because from what I hear it's pretty awful to get to. In case this doesn't fix the rev problem, I ordered an EGR blacking gasket as a last resort. I will update once the new parts are on, they should be arriving today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts