Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

We want to know what is the problem with my automatic rav4 2006. When run is all ok. When stop in parking is all ok. When stop in drive position like stop in semaphore, the RPM get below to 1 (1,000) and the motor shake like want to get off. Never get off but I don't want to go there.

I try to do the typical maintenance all at the same time. I put in the gas tank a gas cleanse treatment, to cleanse fuel injector and all of the related. I know that are no related but, I change the oil and filter. Change the motor air filter. Change the sparks.

In one occasion go to the Toyota dealer and paid for the exhaust cleanse from the throttle, but all of this solutions could not resolve this problem.

Please give me a solution.

Thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
Found this on google. Someone else with same issue...
IAC idle air control valve. With my car it was definitely separate from the throttle body.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello:

We want to know what is the problem with my automatic rav4 2006. When run is all ok. When stop in parking is all ok. When stop in drive position like stop in semaphore, the RPM get below to 1 (1,000) and the motor shake like want to get off. Never get off but I don't want to go there.

I try to do the typical maintenance all at the same time. I put in the gas tank a gas cleanse treatment, to cleanse fuel injector and all of the related. I know that are no related but, I change the oil and filter. Change the motor air filter. Change the sparks.

In one occasion go to the Toyota dealer and paid for the exhaust cleanse from the throttle, but all of this solutions could not resolve this problem.

Please give me a solution.

Thanks
You didn't say which engine your 2006 has. Mine has the 2.4L and it doesn't have an IAC valve. Perhaps you have the V6 which does. I've had this problem, but not as bad as yours. It happens only when temperature outside is 80F or above and the engine is thoroughly warmed up.

On a hunch, after reading all the suggestions about cleaning the nonexistent IAC valve, I disassembled the air filter and removed its container box. There are three 10mm bolts at the bottom of the box. Removed the plastic air ducting and the various small air hoses, one 20mm air hose going to the valve cover and several sensor connectors.

The throttle valve assembly is easily removed by taking out four 10mm or 12mm bolts holding it to the air intake manifold. I think there's one or two small air hoses attached to the throttle body which also need to be taken off. All these air hoses have spring clamps holding the on at each end, so use pliers to squeeze them open and try not to let fly far away into the grass should they get loose while being squeezed.

Note: FIRST: Use a good corrosion loosener product such as Kano Aerokroil Penetrating Oil or at least P'Blaster on all the bolts to be loosened including the large air duct clamps.

The butterfly valve and the chamber walls had accumulated soot and backfire crud over the years. Cleaning it off with a rag soaked in carburetor cleaner removed almost all of it. The throttle valve is ECU_controlled by an electric solenoid attached to the throttle body so be careful to not spray carb cleaner directly into the valve shaft opening on the inside of the throttle going tho the motor/solenoid. This cleaning cleared up most of the low-idle/shaky-idle problem for me.

I strongly suspect there's another contributing cause from somewhere else since 1) The low idle problem only happens when the engine is thoroughly warmed up and the weather is above, say, 80F/27C degrees; 2) Under the thoroughly warmed up engine condition and ambient temp is above 80F, when the engine is turned off and then tried to be started after, perhaps 5 or 10 minutes, it has a lot of difficulty restarting. My wife describes this as "it doesn't liked to be left sitting in the sun after using it". Strange, but true, unfortunately. Its sparks plugs and four coils have been replaced and also the water temp sensor, so the source of the problem seems to be either some other sensor (is there another relevant temp sensor ?) or maybe the fuel pump. There are no DTC's listed in the ECU's OBD2 system. This has stumped quite a few mechanics, mostly Toyota's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts