Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm am planning to change out both of my lower control arms and ball joints next week and wonder if anyone did this in the past. Manual calls for loosening the frame bolts to get the control arms out. It looks like I need to lift the tranny oil pan and the engine oil pan by maybe an inch to get the both front bolts out. Can it be done without lowering The frame or not? How much of a lift can the engine mounts take without damage? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
2008 Rav4 4WD 6 Cyl - You can get the big bolt out of the right sided (US pasenger side) lower control arm by removing the oil pan. Still don't know about the left side though...

·
Registered
84 Posts
For anyone looking and searching for how to remove the control arm bolts, I just replaced both front control arms this past weekend. To answer directly, you DO NOT need to remove the oil pan to take the passenger side, front bolt out. Likewise, you DO NOT need to remove the transmission pan to take the driver side, front bolt out. The following video will give you a good overview on how it can be done and how I did it.

Driver side - rest front of car on jack stands, put 2x4 on jack and place under transmission pan. Jack up and support transmission. Loosen two engine cradle bolts on driver side (don't need to remove like in video) and back them out 1/4" - 1/2". Jack up on transmission just enough (and car is NOT lifted off jack stands). Use pry bar to pry cradle (and the control arm) downward. As the head clears the pan, remove bolt. Replace control arm. Pry down cradle and install front bolt. Tighten cradle bolts. Complete install.

Passenger side - rest front of car on jack stands, put 2x4 on jack and place under oil pan. Jack up and support engine. Loosen two engine cradle bolts on passenger side (don't need to remove like in video) and back them out 1/4" - 1/2". Jack up on engine just enough (and car is NOT lifted off jack stands). Use pry bar to pry cradle (and the control arm) downward. As the head clears the pan, remove bolt. Replace control arm. Pry down cradle and install front bolt. Tighten cradle bolts. Complete install.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts