Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this 2006 and cannot get the glove box open. It is either jammed or broken. Any suggestions on how to get it open without damaging it?
Thanks,
Steve

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
Surely a locksmith can open it and make you a key.

Funny.......We've had our two '08 RAVS since new and I had to go look. I didn't even realize the lower glove box locked. :rolleyes:

I assume you've tried the ignition key to unlock it? I don't know which key works on it.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
A master key will unlock the glove compartment, a valet key will NOT unlock the glove compartment.

Given that it's a 2006, it would not have the SmartKey system (which I believe was introduced on the Limiteds in 2009?), so that shouldn't come into play. If it did, there's a metal key inside the smartkey that comes out when you push the side button, and that metal key can be used to lock or unlock the glove compartment.

If all they have is a valet key, that rather stinks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since I don't have any of the original keys, the one I do have may actually be a valet key. What makes the valet key physically different from the ignition key?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Since I don't have any of the original keys, the one I do have may actually be a valet key. What makes the valet key physically different from the ignition key?
Did you buy your RAV from a dealer or a private party? I'd suggest you contact them and "gently" insist they look around a little closer for the original keys. Otherwise you'll have to spend some money on a locksmith.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The used car dealer bought this through the auto auction and no keys to be found. Same thing happened about a month ago when I bought my wife a 2009 Camry only it had 1 original key. I was able to purchase a new blank on ebay for about $15 and my Toyota dealer cut and programmed it for 1/2 hour labor. I can only guess these cars were either repossessed or keys lost in a divorce.
Thanks to everyone for your help. I'll get it fixed somehow.

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
That's the whole point of a valet key - someone can drive it but can't get into the glove box. But I can't answer as to the physical difference since I "installed" my chipped valet key under the plastic cover by the ignition switch so I didn't need an extra module for the remote start I added to the car.

On my '06 the glove box is locked with the slot horizontal and unlocked vertical. Either way the handle pulls the same - pivots out about 45 degrees.

Wonder what you'll find in there when you do get it open.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Oooh, what if he finds a loaded gun in there?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hopefully an owners manual and recommended service guide. I'll post an update when I find out.
Thanks,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If there is a gun, I can definitely furnish the ammo and if it's money I can use that for medical bills. Just hope it's nothing illegal or like a 10 year old pack of Mcdonalds ketchup!

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
Is the key slot vertical or horizontal?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Go ask your dealer to make a brass key, sometimes called a "practice key" from the vin #. It doesn't have a chip for the ignition but it'll open the doors and the glove box unless they goof up and use the valet key instead. My local hardware store makes them for about $3 each if you already have a key to cut from. I suspect a locksmith or the dealer are needed to get one cut from the vin #.

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
Is the key slot vertical or horizontal?
My point is if it's vertical then it's already unlocked (but jammed) and making a key is a waste of time.

Reactions: RTexasF

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
Good thinking Doc :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
That's the whole point of a valet key - someone can drive it but can't get into the glove box. But I can't answer as to the physical difference.
i can...of these 2 keys the valet key has more material cut away at the end...i figure the car uses this physical difference to tell the keys apart...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts