Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this topic has been discussed before (no "search" facility that I could find).....I would like to lower my '96 2 door, just a couple of inches.Shorter springs are readily available, but the one worry is the extreme pitch of the standard front springs....surely a standard spring compresser cannot operate on this extreme angle. Question...how difficult is it to compress/remove the front road springs please?

·
Registered
10,305 Posts
I recently installed front struts. Of course the springs had to come out. You will need a spring compressor like this one. This isn't an everyday tool. So you will have to go to a pro. Just place it on the machine and with a foot pump you reduce the spring and pressure and the process goes on and on. It is easy, but if you don't have the tools. Don't try it. Someone might get hurt. I've also seen those inky dinky spring compressors sold by JC Whitney. Those don't work well. They are too weak for performance and in some cases stock springs. I've seen some struts shoot out like if they came out of a cannon. So, don't try this at home. Play it safe and go to a pro. Pricey though.

Good luck. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
I agree with Mensa...
Don't do this by yourself unless you already have the experience... it is very dangerous...

Also if you are going to change the springs that is the best time to replace the struts/shocks....

Oh, if you're looking for a decent set of springs for a very reasonable price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...33582QQitemZ8057654609QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

I bought a set from the same seller, and am going to get them put in very soon.... I also bought KYB shocks and struts, they are very reasonable as well from tirerack.com .... 8)

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks to you both.......advice exactly as expected, hence the question. Now checking to see if TRD operates in England!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
DJ, those are the exact same springs that I got lying around in the garage.

Just saving up for the Bilstein sport shocks. A set of 4 will set you back about $400+ USD. So it will be awhile. I'm having mines installed by professionals and then getting it re-aligned properly.

DJ, once you get yours installed; please let me know how the ride compares to stock. :D

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Derek said:
DJ, those are the exact same springs that I got lying around in the garage.

DJ, once you get yours installed; please let me know how the ride compares to stock. :D
Cool... I will probably get them installed within the next 2 weeks, maybe this week if my friend's shop has the time... 8) I will keep you posted and will post pics after the install as well.... :D

·
Registered
682 Posts
I thought TRD springs drop more than an inch? My RAV is lowered 1.5" all round and the front suspension was bottoming out until shortened bump stops were put in the front. The rear is no problem.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Mohit said:
I thought TRD springs drop more than an inch? My RAV is lowered 1.5" all round and the front suspension was bottoming out until shortened bump stops were put in the front. The rear is no problem.
What size rims and tires ? and are you using the TRD's as well?

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'm using King Springs...an Aussie company that make lowering springs for almost all cars sold here in Oz. My RAV was lowered when i still had the OEM 215/70/16 tyres.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts