Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi Rav4 owners... I was wondering if anyone has a Lowerred RAV4 ??? and Do you need a Camber kit on our Rav4.2 ????

I just bought some new Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs with KONI Yellow Adjustable shocks to go ahong with my ride. So Just asking if i need a camber kit or not.. THANKS !! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
682 Posts
No need for a camber kit. Just make sure you get a 4 wheel alignment a couple of weeks after the spings and shocks are installed. As long as its aligned to factory specs you'll be okay.
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2001 RAV4 L - AWD and I installed H&R lowering springs. Since I had them installed I've had nothing but rear suspension problems.
First, I had negative camber in the rear, to fix that problem I had to get my rear upper trailing arms custom extended, which fixed the camber, but now messed up the rear toe. I have many 4 wheel alignments, and NO ONE MAKES a REAR CAMBER KIT for the RAV4!!
No matter what I do, even alignments, WILL NOT fix this problem.
I spent a lot of money doing all this!!! I am so pissed off that no company makes performance aftermarket parts for this vehicle.

I DO NOT recommend lowering the RAV4, because no matter what, you can't get factory alignment specs.

**** If anyone has any info to share about this, or knows where I can get a REAR CAMBER KIT, please let me know.

I am still trying to fix this problem, and any comments would be helpful.
Thanks,
Dave :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
682 Posts
Well the RAV comes with rear negative camber from the factory so u should be able to align it to factory specs. Chung who used to own a 4.2 lowered his RAV with the same lowering springs that i have on my 4.1 and his rear camber was aligned to factory specs. The same shop did both our RAVS so maybe the shop that's working on your RAV don't know what they're doing (it's a common thing).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
THECLEANER said:
I have a 2001 RAV4 L - AWD and I installed H&R lowering springs. Since I had them installed I've had nothing but rear suspension problems.
First, I had negative camber in the rear, to fix that problem I had to get my rear upper trailing arms custom extended, which fixed the camber, but now messed up the rear toe. I have many 4 wheel alignments, and NO ONE MAKES a REAR CAMBER KIT for the RAV4!!
No matter what I do, even alignments, WILL NOT fix this problem.
I spent a lot of money doing all this!!! I am so pissed off that no company makes performance aftermarket parts for this vehicle.

I DO NOT recommend lowering the RAV4, because no matter what, you can't get factory alignment specs.

**** If anyone has any info to share about this, or knows where I can get a REAR CAMBER KIT, please let me know.

I am still trying to fix this problem, and any comments would be helpful.
Thanks,
Dave :evil:
What specs are you going off of? The rav4 is supposed to have negative rear camber. On the 4.1 the camber and toe are set by the same bolt on the rear, pictures I ave seen of the 4.2 look like it's the same setup. There would be no way to have an aftermarket camber kit to replace this part because this part already does what aftermarket camber kits do. Aftermarket kits are generally for cars with no adjustment available on the stock part because it's cheaper to make cars that way.
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, True, RAV4 Does come with a REAR negative camber, Even when I first bought the car , I noticed that too. So its in their "TOYOTA"'s best interest to make it handle a bit more of a car then a SUV is what I heeard from my Toyota Dealer,

Try to look for that on ALL rav4's is what I did.
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First of all, i know that the 2001 rav4 has a stock camber kit already installed in the rear. When i went to have my suspension aligned by toyota, they could not adjust the camber back to factory specs because the H&R springs lowered my suv 1.6 inches (front), 1.3 inches in the (rear). they tried everything they could. When you lower a suspension to low it causes the tire to stick out on a slant which causes the tires to wear on the inside (negative camber). I then found a performance fabrication shop in orlando, fl where i live. they had to custom extend my (rear uper trailing arms) so that my tires would be able to be pushed back into 0 camber. I have 0 camber in the (front and rear) now, but now my rear toe in off. Im going to fix that problem soon because now my rear has pigeon feet (both tires are slanted to the left).

DAVE,
THE CLEANER
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
682 Posts
That is very strange as i've seen both 4.1 (mine) and 4.2 (chung's) RAVs lowered 1.5" all round and the camber has been able to be aligned to factory specs.
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you and your friend have stock toyota suspensions? I have stock struts and shocks. I went to so many alignment places and they could not adjust the front and the rear to factory specs no matter what they did. It makes my pissed off that i had to pay to get my rear upper trailing arms custom extended possibly for no reason. Where did you go to get the alignment done? Is it Toyota, or is it an alignment company in the street? Buy the way i have 235/60/16's.
I'm going to order the Tien wagon damper suspension, but it takes 4-6 months from japan. Thats what im going to do eventually. I tried KYB, but they dont make a front strut with the sway bar bracket for the 2001 rav4. They just make it for the 2000. The rear fits perfect because its just a shock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
682 Posts
I have King Spring 1.5" lowering springs on my RAV with Dobinsons sports shocks. Chung had Pedders 1.5" lowering springs with stock shocks. Plus we both have Pedders shortened front bump stops too. Apart from that everything else is stock (suspension wise). If i remember correctly the stock alignment specs are -0.5 degrees for the front and -2.0 degrees for the rear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
THECLEANER said:
Do you and your friend have stock toyota suspensions? I have stock struts and shocks. I went to so many alignment places and they could not adjust the front and the rear to factory specs no matter what they did. It makes my pissed off that i had to pay to get my rear upper trailing arms custom extended possibly for no reason. Where did you go to get the alignment done? Is it Toyota, or is it an alignment company in the street? Buy the way i have 235/60/16's.
I'm going to order the Tien wagon damper suspension, but it takes 4-6 months from japan. Thats what im going to do eventually. I tried KYB, but they dont make a front strut with the sway bar bracket for the 2001 RAV4. They just make it for the 2000. The rear fits perfect because its just a shock.
I think maybe your adjusters have something wrong with them in the back because there is definetly no reason you should have a problem adjusting toe unless the two halfs of the adjuster have become seized, if this happens you only have a choice of adjusting toe or camber but not both. I also wonder why they would extend the upper arms rather than shorten the lower ones, that would have been an opurtunity to install hiem joints in the arms and have litterally 10 degrees of of micro adjustment. Are you the original owner of the car? Another possiblilty is that it has been in an accident.
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went to the Toyota Dealer today to get a 4 wheel alignment, and they told me they couldn't work on it, because I lowered it, and the machine has only factory settings to go by. But since my Rav is lowered they can't do it because they way it is, it's basically not stock anymore. Then I went to my friend who manages Midas, and Derrick (the alignment guy) worked on it, and they got the rear camber adjusted correctly. However the rear toe is still off, so hopefully next week I'll get it right.
I went over all the replies here on the forum, and what everyone said about the alignments, and everyone I spoke to says it's impossible to get the factory specs back, because it is not factory anymore.

The Cleaner - Dave
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IT OFFICAL .... YOU DONT NEED A CAMBER KIT !!!!
I got it done with no Problem back to Factory spec.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
682 Posts
ron8818 said:
IT OFFICAL .... YOU DONT NEED A CAMBER KIT !!!!
I got it done with no Problem back to Factory spec.
lol...that's what we've been saying all along! :p good too see the problem is now fixed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
875 Posts
I've done the drop with the H&R's and this is what happened: Scroll to the bottom of this link to see the digital printouts after the spring installation before and after the alignment http://www.cardomain.com/ride/351327/20

My shop did need to put a camber kit by the way and it's still not exactly to spec, but close.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
I'm considering lowering my car and have read through this entire thread with great interest.. the people that have had rear camber problems fail to mention if they are using H&R "sport" or "race" line of springs. I just want a mild 1.2" lower with the Sport line and was wondering if anyone has done this without rear suspension geometry problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
875 Posts
If you check the website....the cardomain one, (the link should be below), you'll see that it's the OEM one. H&R black. The sport ones are RED. On my cardomain website, you'll also see the dramatic mess-up the suspension had done on the camber. Click to the proper page and you'll see the diagram.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top