Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 2008 Rav4 with low miles. It has been converted to run on LPG. This is my first LPG vehicle, Is there anything special I should do besides changing the LPG filters, or any special problems I should look for?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
I just bought my 2008 Rav4 with low miles. It has been converted to run on LPG. This is my first LPG vehicle, Is there anything special I should do besides changing the LPG filters, or any special problems I should look for?
You are the first LPG powered RAV4 owner I can remember on this forum. So you may not get very much help here. You might try a forum for LPG vehicle owners.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I can't offer any assistance, but this brings back memories of a conversion we did back in the 80s. A customer had a Ford Fiarmont and wanted it to run on propane. He bought the kit, we installed it, and it went down from there. The engine ran really poor when cold, and when it was warm, it ran a little better. This was back in the day of fuel rationing and emission controls for everything but the radio.

Propane is a very clean fuel, but does not like cold climates. I can't see where you are from, but it is a warm climate, you should be fine.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in Ukraine now, it was a very good conversion installed. Lots of the vehicles here are LPG, but this is my first. It starts on gasoline and after the engine warms it switches to LPG.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
I'm in Ukraine now, it was a very good conversion installed. Lots of the vehicles here are LPG, but this is my first. It starts on gasoline and after the engine warms it switches to LPG.

It will be interesting for us to hear more from you about your propane-powered RAV. When I lived in the American Midwest we had a propane-powered farm tractor and it was easier to maintain than our gasoline-powered tractor. Perhaps you can explain why propane is a popular fuel for motor vehicles in Ukraine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The main reason is propane is half the price. Normally between $0.30 - $0.40 / liter. Where gasoline is $0.90 - $1.00 / liter.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
Wow, you have a cigarette lighter! You don't see those anymore in N. America! It would be interesting if you could show a picture of the engine with the plastic cover removed. If you pull straight up, it snaps off and is easy to snap back on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
1.st Lubrication system on the intake valves.
На второе место regulate valve clearance every 80k km.
3.th 2mm holes on the lowest parts of the exhaust system so the water from the burned lpg can get out easy. Otherwise - new exhaust each 3 years.
Filters before injector are MUST.
The valve beds on the all models after mk1 are to thin laser cuted so they burn out really fast because of the higher burning temp of the gas. So think about better cooling of the exhaust valves and read live data from the engine like temp and fuel mixture. Hope this helps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts