Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine recently came into a car too cheap to pass up, so she is selling her 2006 FWD 4cyl RAV4 (AT) The car has less than 60,000 miles on it, and has been dealer serviced to my knowledge its entire life.

I have already read the TSB list and know what to look for there, but was curious if there is anything specific to these vehicles I should check for when looking it over.

I am quite mechanically inclined, so issues like brakes and minor chassis issues aren't an issue, I can fix those. I am more concerned with common rust areas, major drivetrain issues, ect.

Thank you! excited to join the forum.

·
Super Moderator
10,227 Posts
The two biggest issues I know of are transaxle whine and oil consumption. IMO if it doesn't whine or burn now it won't ever but others have said they may develop around 90-100K. I have several friends running the 2.4L with no oil burning, and even if it does develop it's more of a bother than an expense.

On the rust, that would depend on where you live.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think the oil consumption would just plain bug me

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
No transmission whine on the 4-speed that I know of. It's the 5-speed tranny on the V6 that whines.

·
Super Moderator
10,227 Posts
No transmission whine on the 4-speed that I know of. It's the 5-speed tranny on the V6 that whines.
Yep, cross that one off!

I think the oil consumption would just plain bug me.
Yeahbut only if it does consume which many, probably most don't. Even then adding a quart every 4th fillup or so may well be worth it if the car was a great deal.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
If you indeed currently have excessive oil burn, check when this RAV was put on the road. Toyota is fixing the issue for free within the first 10 years but you must first do their oil consumption test.
Does your friend know how much oil it consumes?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it were for me, I would probably go 6cyl, but the wife has enough trouble driving work a 4cyl, she doesn't need more.

Picking up the car for $8,000. Has remote start, is super clean, and has been dealer serviced its entire life. She said it does not burn oil, but I have the vin now so I can make sure it doesn't fall into the oil issue dates. Needs a tpms sensor, but I can do no problem.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
FFJosty;2046201 ...She said it does not burn oil said:
All 2006-2008 RAV4 in North America market with the 2AZ-FE 4-cyl engine are within "the oil issue dates." Toyota currently has an extended warranty (not a recall) to cover excessive oil burn, which I believe is from 10 years of first date of service. So your 2006 has coverage ending this year from that date.

They don't all burn oil, and many that do get it fixed under this extended warranty--at least in the USA. Canadians seem less well served. There are several threads on the subject if you need to know more.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would look for rust behind the wheels and under the door edges. I've never seen a newer Rav4 with rust but if you live up north it will be obvious. Sounds like a deal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will do that, I'm right in the rust belt, so that concerns me, but the car was also rarely driven in winter so that will help.

She said the paint is chipping off the edge of the fender wells, but there is no rust. I will look at it and make sure it's just a paint adhesion issue rather than a adhesion issue. Going to look at it/drive it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
If it were for me, I would probably go 6cyl, but the wife has enough trouble driving work a 4cyl, she doesn't need more.

Picking up the car for $8,000. Has remote start, is super clean, and has been dealer serviced its entire life. She said it does not burn oil, but I have the vin now so I can make sure it doesn't fall into the oil issue dates. Needs a tpms sensor, but I can do no problem.
Re: TPMS thing, make sure it's not just low air in the spare.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts