Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's taken almost a year but i've finally had the Lukey exhaust header installed in my RAV today! Cost of header was $350. Cost of labour and parts was also $350 which included 2.25" high flow cat, flex pipe, oxy sensor bung, another hot dog resonator and miscellaneous 2" exhaust piping.

So the exhaust system now goes like this: Lukey header > flex pipe > high flow cat > hot dog > hot dog > muffler. The exhaust piping is 2" all the way except the high flow cat is .25" bigger to attain maximum gas flow.

After the install the difference in power could be felt straight away. Engine is less laggy under 3000 rpm and mid range and top end punch are much improved. The addition of the 2nd hot dog has all but eliminated the slight fart noise i used to get from the cat back system at certain revs and the exhaust note is much beefier. I'm sure the header has something to do with this as well.

Will be flooring it all week so i'll reset the ECU and see what sort of fuel economy gains i get from next week. Now for some pics :)

Lukey exhaust header. Not listed as a RAV4 part but still fits with minor modifications.

Lukey header installed in engine bay.

1st modification. Oxy sensor bung needed to be welded into the header.

2nd modification. Exhaust piping fabricated to attach end of header to flex pipe and end of flex pipe to high flow cat.

Here you can see (from L to R): 2.25" high flow cat > 2nd hot dog > 1st hot dog which was already part of the previous cat back system.

Here you can see (from L to R): OEM header heat shield, OEM header/cat unit and OEM down pipe that used to go the rest of the OEM exhaust system. The rest of the OEM exhaust system (which i still have) consists of a hot dog and drum muffler.

·
Registered
542 Posts
how hot does it get under the hood now? i had mine wrapped and i can still touch the header without getting burned even after a long, hard drive.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Mohit, That is one stunning piece of tackle I will follow your input with great interest to see your long term views on it. It looks like I,ll have to put one on my WISHLIST excellent photos as well.
Clare

·
Registered
10,298 Posts
Great Moza, since you have a very cool filter setup. Which has a cold shoot of air in the combustion chamber. That 3rd, 4th and 5th gear must work well. :p These engines, they might say what ever. But man. they work well. True the 3SGTE engine works a lot better, no doubt about it. But these engine despite its "one camshaft depending on the other" isn't that bad.

Keep the air filter clean, if OZPD permit it. change the muffler to a larger one.

As time goes by, it gets better. Have a look at the DEI wrap. your engine compartment will get hotter. With this wrap, it will lower it a ton. Keeping what ever is under the hood cooler and plastic and rubber parts will last longer with the reduction of heat. Yes, you will pickup some horses also.

Way to go Mate:!:

http://www.designengineering.com/

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments guys. The money i spent on this mod is definitely worth it (it's in AU $ and not US $). I prolly will get some exhaust wrap soon. Here's a couple more pics of the piping from header > flex joint > high flow cat.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The power is much better all over the rev range. I find the transmission isnt downshifting while going up a particular hill as theres more power available :)

·
Registered
10,298 Posts
Is it Stick [5speed] or auto? then again, I think it's an auto because I saw your transmission dip stick, correct? 8) How are the clutches of your transmission? The extra power will put a strain on your engine and transmission. Little gremlin, that under normal conditions won't come out, unfortunately they will now. :roll: No turning back here. Go forward.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i'm definitely getting better fuel economy with the new header.
Before the header installation the fuel light would come on at 380km (236mi).
Today it came on at 420km (261mi).
That's an extra 40 km (25 mi).
If i fill up when the fuel light comes on i can pump about 48L into the tank which means the fuel light comes on when theres about 10L left.
So my average fuel consumption has dropped from 12.6L/100km to 11.4L/100km.
My driving consists of 99% stop-start suburban driving.
I reckon it would be even better if i did some freeway or long distance highway driving :)

J

·
0 Posts
Ok, tomorrow morning I am finally getting the header, new cat and resonator installed. I'll make sure to take some pictures after it is all done, and report on the difference in power for you guys.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
JDUB1187 said:
Ok, tomorrow morning I am finally getting the header, new cat and resonator installed. I'll make sure to take some pictures after it is all done, and report on the difference in power for you guys.
Cool... i'm very interested to see yours installed... I don't remember if i've asked you, but do you have to go through emissions in KS ? if so how are you planning on having the O2 sensors setup ? Definitely post pics... and parts list... :thumbs_up:

J

·
0 Posts
I've never had to take an emissions test with my rav, and there was no trouble replacing the cat which seemed strange to me. It is stuck in the shop until tomorrow morning because they damaged the old o2 sensor so a new one was ordered and should be in tomorrow morning. They are welding an o2 bung into the header pipe to install it.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
mensajero said:
DJ, last month was my emissions test. It passed easily. I just reinstall all sensors as if they were from Toyota.
Mensa,

In PR, does yours have 2 sensors ? one before and after the primary cat. ?

·
Registered
10,298 Posts
JDUB1187 said:
I've never had to take an emissions test with my RAV, and there was no trouble replacing the cat which seemed strange to me. It is stuck in the shop until tomorrow morning because they damaged the old o2 sensor so a new one was ordered and should be in tomorrow morning. They are welding an o2 bung into the header pipe to install it.
Cool :thumbs_up:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts