Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stuck for things to do I thought my next project would be to upgrade the interior of my 4.1, trying to use parts from more expensive cars, like Lexus.

A very strange idea, I know, but potentially fun. I have ordered some (going cheap) Lexus leather headrests on E-Bay. Perhaps they will fit, perhaps they will not....but that's the fun.

Has anyone else taken parts from other Toyotas or Lexus to upgrade their interiors?

It would be useful to know from which vehicles/years and whether these fitted.

I will report back on the headrests.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Great idea with the Lexus headrest swap. I am thinking that the distance between the 2 posts are probably the same due to the fact that they are of the same manufacturer (Toyota=Lexus :D ). Good luck with that one. You might want to consider getting a leather interior kit, that way everything will match properly.

The only parts in my interior that came from a luxury car is the BMW leather brake handle and leather boot and BMW leather shift boot:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Derek. I saw your mod when it was first posted. Very nice, particularly the overdrive switch which is classy.

I am hoping the grey leather headrests will go quite well with the grey vinyl components in the car e.g. steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
lexus

I am also want to get lexus head rest but i guess I wait until i see some one here with them on their rav4
Ian what yr is the lexus and model you getting the headrest from

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Now that I think about it, I would really like to get a set of quality sun visors. The ones on my 1998 RAV feel like they are vinyl wrapped cardboard. :lol:

I also wouldn't mind getting an authentic TRD leather wrapped steering wheel. Not too sure about the compatibility with air bags and such though. :?:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will let you know what Lexus I got the headrests from once they arrive and I know they fit. I am taking a risk here. I have no idea how far the metal rods are apart. I do not want people to copy my mistake, if I have made one!

On the sun visors, I too was looking at this today. There are some groovy Lexus ones that have lights. They would have to be wired in though. Could be tricky!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Derek, I love that shifter boot you have, I didnt even know your car was an auto. That plastic tirm peice around your boot, its that off the automatic trim or is it from another car? I installed a leatehr shift boot on my rav, but it dosnt look nearly as nice as yours. Also, what type of BMW, did your get the E-brake handle/boot from, and is it available from ebay?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hey Boost,

Yes, the plastic trim you see is the OEM one. The BMW leather shift boot fits in there nice and snug without any problems, and the plastic trim even fits back in nicely. I don't have the boot on anymore because I switched back to the OEM shifter. The aftermarket shifter was giving me too much problems. :cry:

The leather hand brake and boot came as a set. If I can remember correctly, it is off of a BMW 3-series. Not the most current one out now, but the ones before it. I would think that almost any handbrake should be able to fit. I remember having to put some electrical tape around the RAV4 handbrake shaft so that it would fit better.

I got everything from eBay. It is a great place to get cool parts and cheap too. Most people offer this OEM stuff off of their cars for dirt cheap; I guess they think that they'll throw it away anyways. :D

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bad news. The two headrests from a Lexus GX470 did NOT fit my Rav. Although the metal poles were the correct width apart, each pole was too wide to fit in the holes. So, the search continues.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Only 20 bucks. I have considered the bore-out idea, but just need to summon the courage...

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone fancy getting furred up?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts