Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was unloading a big box off my luggage rack and it slipped and broke my passenger side view mirror on my 2012 Base Rav4. I ordered a Kool view aftermarket mirror for about 40 bucks and the body shop charged me $36 to install it. Everything looked great but the mirror controls only moved it up not down or side to side. They checked that it was plugged in properly and the original mirror worked fine so they think it was a defective mirror. I want to order another mirror but not a Kool View because the mirror glass also jiggles when I hit bumps and the drivers mirror doesn't do that. I notice online that several mirrors are for "made in Japan Rav4s only". How do you know if your Rav4 was made in Japan or the US, and does anyone know of a good aftermarket supplier?

·
Registered
37 Posts
The first letter/ number of the vin will tell you where it was made. If it starts with a "J" it is made in Japan. # 1-5 are Canada or the US.

I'm pretty sure that 06-08 were made in Japan and 09-12 were made in the US/Canada.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
My 2010 S.A.P. was made in Japan...also I would never buy a non factory side view mirror...every one I have ever bought shakes...will never buy one again...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Vin started with a 2 so I am thinking it was made in the US or Canada. I just ordered a side mirror assembly from a different company that said "non Japan mirror" and it was a bit more expensive so hopefully I will have better luck this time. I replaced the mirror myself on my wifes 2008 Buick Lacrosse and it was fairly easy and the dealer was wanting $700 for materials and labor. But since this small town body shop would install it for $36 I'll just let them install the next mirror and I'll send the first one back when completed.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
The RAV4 has never been made in the US--if the VIN starts with 2, it was made in Woodstock, Ontario, Canada. I've had good luck with TYC mirrors--I replaced one on my Nissan and it is rock solid. Looks and feels factory with no shake or vibration. Easy to replace as well--watched a YouTube video that showed how to do it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The body shop installed the non Japan mirror and it works great and they didn't charge me anything so that was nice. The problem is the glass in the new mirror shakes a tiny bit, not enough to really bother me but it definitely is not rock solid like the factory mirror. I thought I would pass that info along if anyone needs to replace a review mirror I would buy from the dealer or a salvage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts