·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who haven't seen it yet:

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
Yep and I bet it's happened plenty more times since that 2014 post but most guys on their forums aren't gonna admit it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
It's a light car for an C-SUV, with AWD, 5 speed, and... no variable timing. The ratio HP/weight is definitely great for such a vehicle.
Last year for those was 2012. Like wine, they age nicely.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,568 Posts
It's a light car for an C-SUV, with AWD, 5 speed, and... no variable timing.
WHAT? The RAV4 3.5L V6 has DUAL VVt-i, variable valve timing with intelligence, on both the intake and exhaust!

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
No "street stripping" for me but surprises some folks with its power for passing especially when passing a line of other vehicles on our two-lane roads. Would not attempt that maneuver with our other SUV, a 4 cyl., unless the opposing lane was clear for about a mile ahead.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The last 4 cyl car that I had (from a long line of 4 cyl ownership) was an Ford Contour (2.0L, 125HP), like 17 years ago. By "accident" I swapped with a V6 car, DOHC, (used 1996 Ford Taurus, 200HP) and I was "whoa, this is what a car should feel like!". Sure, gas costs more, but... YOLO!

Now, when I drive my wife's Kia Soul (4 cyl 2.0L, allegedly 142HP), I keep pressing the gas pedal to move and, even if RPM's go up, and engine sounds strained, I can't feel the surge that I am used to. I just hear my wife screaming next to me "Don't you dare hurt my baby!". So obviously, I back up from that pedal :ROFLMAO:

I don't say that I am normal. It is what it is...

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
I don't say that I am normal. It is what it is...
Reminds me of someone's signature, on our forum I think; "Car, stock; Driver modified."

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2007 RAV4 V6 AWD. This thing MOVES. Pulling out on the expressway from a short ramp? No problem. Stuck behind a jerk driver on a 2-lane? No problem. I've had jerk drivers speed up when I start passing. Doesn't matter, I still zip around them.

It's been great for moving, pulling a 6x12 enclosed utility trailer. That kills the gas mileage, but still it pulls easy.

One time, I saw someone driving a Maserati doing 185, looked thirsty, so I pulled up next to him and offered him a can of coke. Then I saw someone further ahead also looking thirsty, so I pulled away from the Maserati. Yes, this paragraph is 90% fiction, but the "Maserati doing 185" was real - in a song anyway.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 2012 V6 RAV and a 2008 Mustang GT (4.6L V8). The RAV will take the Ford off the line any day of the week. And honestly, it would be some time before the Mustang finally overtook it, IMO. The Toyota has a cold air intake and low restriction Magnaflow muffler, but I doubt there is a lot of power gain there. Mustang also has a CAI (no tune) - the stock engine is rated at 300 hp. While the Mustang is flashy and has an awesome rumble, the RAV seats more (comfortably), gets better MPG, has a better sounding aftermarket head unit and I can drive it literally for 14 hours w/o a problem. Try doing that in a Mustang (ouch)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2007 RAV4 V6 AWD. This thing MOVES. Pulling out on the expressway from a short ramp? No problem. Stuck behind a jerk driver on a 2-lane? No problem. I've had jerk drivers speed up when I start passing. Doesn't matter, I still zip around them.

It's been great for moving, pulling a 6x12 enclosed utility trailer. That kills the gas mileage, but still it pulls easy.

One time, I saw someone driving a Maserati doing 185, looked thirsty, so I pulled up next to him and offered him a can of coke. Then I saw someone further ahead also looking thirsty, so I pulled away from the Maserati. Yes, this paragraph is 90% fiction, but the "Maserati doing 185" was real - in a song anyway.
2007 Rav4 V-6 Sport 4WD. It does pass other cars quite nicely, I'm just glad the price of gas is going down instead of up.

·
Registered
271 Posts
has a better sounding aftermarket head unit
LOL, so the horrid Toyota stock audio system became a positive? Because it forced you to upgrade!

I have the JBL audio and still sounds bad to me. It's made specifically for heavy bass, no other qualities.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First time caller. I love my hand-me-down 2008 Rav4 V6. When we bought it my wife was expecting and we wanted a new, reliable... whatever. She was in a 2000 Celica GT so... not a good car for a baby. I was driving an '04 STi and after testing the 4 vs the 6 I insisted she get the 6. So glad now. I didn't really feel how fast it was back then since that STi was far... far from stock.

Jump forward ~12 years... My daily driver was a '98 Trans-Am with the LS1... so you know... fun. It sounds like a wrist pin has gotten loose, and not wanting to detonate an LS1 until I have the time to rebuild it I switched to the Rav4 when she got a new car late last year.

So glad I insisted on the 6. What a sleeper! Wish I'd let her talk me into the AWD back in '08... but I just have to be a little gentle off the line. The fly-by-wire throttle lag and the lack of performance suspension parts are my only gripes. I got the stupidly overpriced Pedal Commander and that took care of the first problem. But if this thing ever dies, I'll be looking for a '12 3.5 AWD for sure.

If anyone knows of better sway bar options I'm all ears. Maybe there is a Lexus with fatter bars that'll fit?

·
Registered
271 Posts
If anyone knows of better sway bar options I'm all ears. Maybe there is a Lexus with fatter bars that'll fit?
I think the issue with any changes in the suspension stiffness is that the Stability Control software is not able to compensate for big changes. I am hitting this "invisible" wall also every time I look for better shocks/struts, better brakes... big brands won't deviate too much the V6 AWD stock configuration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think the issue with any changes in the suspension stiffness is that the Stability Control software is not able to compensate for big changes. I am hitting this "invisible" wall also every time I look for better shocks/struts, better brakes... big brands won't deviate too much the V6 AWD stock configuration.
I think most of the problem is no one auto-crosses the Rav4. (Why would they, except for a laugh.) I haven't looked in a couple years but it wasn't classed under the SCCA rules due to height and safety concerns. There might be some modified classes that allow it if it is lowered... but how does one lower a car properly when no one makes the proper stuff? The only coilovers I've found were some pretty lousy brands that needed to be rebuilt constantly... and lowering springs alone are usually a bad idea. Plus... no sway bars. I can weld my own strut tower braces... but that's not helping anything stick to the road.

I have added drilled and slotted Power Stop brakes and some Raybestos Element3 pads. After some spirited "follow the leader" on some back roads when I first started driving the car I nearly got to know the guy in front of me when the stockers faded fast. Fixed that right away. Now they grab all the time as hard and as often as I need. Impressed with the Element3s. They feel as good as Carbotechs or Hawks for a fraction of the price. Not sure how long any of it will last. When they get hot, they get more aggressive and I feel like I'm losing material. For regular driving, everything is smooth though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts