Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Made myself some oversized mudflaps today. I've always loved the look of big mudflaps on certain vehicles, I was too tired of the small OEM ones :serious I'm thinking of having some "4WD" decals for the mud flaps too. I might just leave them the way they are.

These were made from the same material used on 18 wheelers (so they flap, this was very important to me :wink) Used the same mount position as the OEM flaps, and used washer.

Not sure if these oversized flaps are going to do me any good in keeping the vehicle clean, but I don't really care either way.
I'll post some better pics in the near future.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Cool.:cool: Now you're ready to run a WRC event. But watch out for Jari-Matti Latvala in the VW Polo R. Those Finnish drivers are really fast. But with the V6 you should be okay especially with those mud flaps flapping.:wink

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol, I figured these would be hated on :wink

·
Registered
164 Posts
More photos please. I need these for the winter. the stock one are crap for keeping snow from throwing back along the rockers. I need the fronts more than the back. Did you attach them just to the fender lip or attach (somehow) to the inside edge of the mud flap too?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More photos please. I need these for the winter. the stock one are crap for keeping snow from throwing back along the rockers. I need the fronts more than the back. Did you attach them just to the fender lip or attach (somehow) to the inside edge of the mud flap too?

I had removed the OEM flaps, and used the same hardware (plus one extra bolt/washer per flap).

I was planning on making a few sets with custom decals if anyone would be interested. They would be a direct "plug n' play"

As soon as they free me from this office I'll take some better shots.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
as promised, here are some more pictures of the flaps and how I had mounted them.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,925 Posts
Flav, I like the flaps, I think you did a great job! I only wish you could upload a diagram or pattern showing measurements and mounting holes so others could duplicate your design.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The OEM rear flaps work fine on my RAV. The OEM front flaps are quite a different story. With the OEM front flaps the mud would get all over the front doors. I attached a piece of black flexible plastic and extended the length of the OEM front flaps by about 3 inches. Now the mud doesn't get any higher than the rocker panels.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Flav, I like the flaps, I think you did a great job! I only wish you could upload a diagram or pattern showing measurements and mounting holes so others could duplicate your design.
Thanks JuneBug! Well, if the interest is there perhaps I will go ahead and make up a template of the flaps. I'm going to have to take them off when I do the decaling. But I still haven't settled on what I'm going to put on them yet. I will keep you guys posted!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also; if anyone is interested.. I will be making a few sets of these for sale too. Shoot me a message if you are interested!

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Love it. Also where did you buy the material? Ebay? Local store?

One of my OEM flaps was starting to tear up but I drilled a hole to stop the damage. This a great alternative.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Love it. Also where did you buy the material? Ebay? Local store?

One of my OEM flaps was starting to tear up but I drilled a hole to stop the damage. This a great alternative.
I bought the material locally from a truck shop:thumbs_up:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks JuneBug! Well, if the interest is there perhaps I will go ahead and make up a template of the flaps. I'm going to have to take them off when I do the decaling. But I still haven't settled on what I'm going to put on them yet. I will keep you guys posted!
A few questions about the material:
What size semi truck flap did you start with?
What thickness is the material?
Is it smooth on both sides?
How did you cut it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Hate the OEM mudflaps as they do NOTHING to keep the side of the car clean and tidy. Noticed the running boards as well as I thought about adding these to help with keeping the rockers from getting destroyed. Any suggestions on the which are best for the RAV4 ? I have the 2011 V6 Sport.

Thanks!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts