Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I purchased a RAV4 2010 base model with 120,000 miles on it yesterday and I'm looking for recommendations for the services I need to do.

Having no experience with Toyota's or even automatic transmissions this is what I have found so far. It all seems pretty easy so will be doing it myself. Can anyone else think of anything else I will need to do?

Oil Change

Transmission Fluid Change

Air Filter Change

Does anyone have a link to a recommended maintenance chart? I can't find one anywhere :(

In terms of the products does anyone have any recommendations? I was thinking of using Mobile 1 Synthetic 15,000 5-20 for the engine. But I got no idea what transmission fluid I need. I can figure out which air filter and oil filter to get when in store getting some help from staff.

EDIT: Also after I have done this service, how do I get rid of the 'Requires Service Light'?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Welcome to the board!
Any knowledge of the previous owners maintenance would be helpful, of course, but you've pretty much got it covered. I'd add a coolant drain-and-refill, using Toyota coolant. Keep after the trans and coolant changes on a regular basis. Check the cabin filter. I use dino oil on a 5k schedule, but synth is an excellent choice. You could probably go anywhere from 7.5k to 10k on a change, depending on your driving style.
Resetting the maint req light is easy. You can find it on a search, sorry I don't have the time right now.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Does anyone have a link to a recommended maintenance chart?

In terms of the products does anyone have any recommendations? I was thinking of using Mobile 1 Synthetic 15,000 5-20 for the engine. But I got no idea what transmission fluid I need. I can figure out which air filter and oil filter to get when in store getting some help from staff.

Also after I have done this service, how do I get rid of the 'Requires Service Light'?
Go to Toyota.com/owners, enter you car with the VIN number.

Then highlight "Parts and Service" then "Service History" You will see anything entered by Toyota dealers. You can enter your own DIY services there also.

Go to "Resources" then "Manuals and Warranty" get your Maintenance Schedule.

Go to "Resources" then "Safety Campaign and Recalls" see if anything is still outstanding.

To what Ravenuer said, I would add other services: Check brake pads, flush brake fluid. Drain and refill rear diff and transfer case if you have 4WD.

Plenty of opinion here on fluid. Use the "Search" feature, you will see many of your questions answered and many other opinions.

Fluids for tranny: I like Toyota ATF WS, get at dealer. Second and cheaper choice, might even be the same thing: Aisin Automatic Transmission Fluid WS--about $3 a quart cheaper.

Oil: been using Toyota dino 5W-20 while on 6-month warranty intervals. Will switch to Mobil 1 synth 5w-20 and go to 1 year service after warranty expires.

For greater depth and specs, download the Service Manuals:
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/176457-service-manuals-available-downloading.html
(The 2006 and 2011 Supplemental with have info covering your 2010 model.)

Enjoy the RAV DIY and Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Make sure not to believe these ridiculous long mileage claims for oil especially not in this motor. My oil was complete garbage when I got my Mom's dealer maintained car at 53k. I'm still in short interval dino oil change, operation: Sludge Battle. Drove it 3k cross country with all my stuff and it was destroyed again. On the way back I stopped at a motel in Iowa and slammed some new oil in it. Funny, their dumpster had oodles of fresh cat litter in the bottom, coincidental..Went back to New Hampshire and did it again with the Castrol 10/30 and it got really cold last winter. Think in this case zero meant zero for the first oil weight number. The Rav supposedly also had the transmission fluid "run 2 times" to get out all the black. After the road trip, this summer I dropped the transmission pan. It too was plenty dirty with black metal goo. This is not a 2 hour operation with the silly plastic covering and all but it's nice to be really starting fresh with an important fluid(unlike our oil with black stuff surely everywhere.) Don't forget the front axle oil while you're at it. Get an oil change place to do the rear. it will be nightmare rusted plugs. Bring your own good gear oil with you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts