Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Maintenance on a 1994 RAV4

1698 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Mick Hatzo
Hey, I'm a newbie in this forum (and in mechanic lol) from France ! Baguette :)

So, I would like to do some maintenance on my car, because in France, i don't know if it's the same in your country, our cars need to pass an "exam" or they cannot drive in public areas.

This car almost didn't received maintenance, but she is doing great.
What do you think I can do to keep her in good shape ?
Oh and, by the way, this car has 94000 miles approximately.

Thanks for the answers :)
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1996 Toyota Rav4 (3 Doors, AWD, Manual)
160 Posts
WHAT! 94 000 miles! The engine is barely broken-in!

We need more information to guide you in the right direction. But a good starting point is, since you say it hasn't had much maintenance, to change all your fluids and filters (Do not forget you cabin air filter!). If it has only 94 000 miles, chances are it has mostly been driven in the city for short trips so a good ol' Seafoam treatment will do your engine a lot of good!

Throttle body decarb is also a good guess.

Inspect your vacuum lines to see if they are in good shapes.

Look for rust, I changed the whole exhaust system on mine because it was falling apart. And look for cracks in your CV boot.

Do not forget to share some photos!

· Registered
1,705 Posts
OK. Do you know what work has been done to it already?

Is it equipped with OBD-II or other code system? If so, scan.

Valve stem seals (if smokes on some or all start-ups) {If must be done, replace the EGR's VSV then too.}
Timing set, water pump, thermostat, coolant and vacuum hoses, serpentine belt
Oil, and oil, air, and underhood fuel filter
Spark plugs and wires (and cap/rotor if so equipped). Keep an eye on the ignition coil(s).
Upstream oxygen sensor
PCV valve, and maybe the temperature sensor. Check the EGR system.
Power steering and brake fluid
If AWD, rear differential's and transfer case's fluids, and check the u-joints, etc.

Have it put up on a lift, and check the CV joints, suspension, steering, bearings, brakes, tires, and exhaust system
Also check for excessive rust in the front and rear control arms, and the K-member

And all the other usual items -- check all the lights, replace the wiper blades, look for dampness in the footwells, get a four-wheel alignment, ...

If they ship there, check RockAuto dot com for parts.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK. Do you know what work has been done to it already?

Is it equipped with OBD-II or other code system? If so, scan.

Valve stem seals (if smokes on some or all start-ups) {If must be done, replace the EGR's VSV then too.}
Timing set, water pump, thermostat, coolant and vacuum hoses, serpentine belt
Oil, and oil, air, and underhood fuel filter
Spark plugs and wires (and cap/rotor if so equipped). Keep an eye on the ignition coil(s).
Upstream oxygen sensor
PCV valve, and maybe the temperature sensor. Check the EGR system.
Power steering and brake fluid
If AWD, rear differential's and transfer case's fluids, and check the u-joints, etc.

Have it put up on a lift, and check the CV joints, suspension, steering, bearings, brakes, tires, and exhaust system
Also check for excessive rust in the front and rear control arms, and the K-member

And all the other usual items -- check all the lights, replace the wiper blades, look for dampness in the footwells, get a four-wheel alignment, ...

If they ship there, check RockAuto dot com for parts.
I checked the website rock auto, they only have parts for the 1996 rav4, but I think it will be compatible. And they ship to France, so it's perfect. Are you sure that all those things have to be done? Since this car doesn't run so much (approximately 400miles a year)...
I'll check the car tomorrow, I'll tell you if there is an obd system, but I don't have the scanning tool.
Tommorow I'll change the oil and the oil filter, and the cigarrete lighter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.