Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - it's been awhile since I've been here... in fact, since I sold my 1998 RAV4 back in August of 2003. :eek:

Anyhow, my mom just recently bought a 2005 RAV4 and took it in for an oil change at the local Toyota dealership. I was told the Maint. Recq. light was on when she took it in, and when she got it back, the light was off. But now it's come back again, and it won't turn off. I owned a 1999 Integra LS for a few months, and the maintenance light on that car was turned off by pushing a button underneath the dashboard. Is there something that we can do as owners to turn this thing off, or does she need to take it back to Toyota?

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Hello Chris! - Long time no read :D

I came up with the following doing a GOOGLE. Apparently this same info can also be found in the owner's manual :roll:

1. Turn the ignition key to the "ACC" or "LOCK" position with the odometer reading showing. (not trip A or trip B)

2. Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position while holding down the trip meter reset knob.

The odometer will display 000000 then some dashes, the light will go off once your odometer shows this.

In the manual on page 115 of the 05 matrix xr.
I'm assuming this same procedure will also work for the RAV4.

Also ran across the following "Chicken Dance"... that I thought was interesting - http://clubsciontc.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=21868

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kelly Smith said:
Hello Chris! - Long time no read :D

I came up with the following doing a GOOGLE. Apparently this same info can also be found in the owner's manual :roll:

1. Turn the ignition key to the "ACC" or "LOCK" position with the odometer reading showing. (not trip A or trip B)

2. Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position while holding down the trip meter reset knob.

The odometer will display 000000 then some dashes, the light will go off once your odometer shows this.

In the manual on page 115 of the 05 matrix xr.
I'm assuming this same procedure will also work for the RAV4.

Also ran across the following "Chicken Dance"... that I thought was interesting - http://clubsciontc.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=21868

Well, I didn't think the owners manual would even have anything of the sort, which is why I didn't bother to look. I know it's not in the manual for my Integra AFAIK.

Let me go give that a shot real quick, and I'll let you know if it works. :D

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome! Worked perfect.

When you turn the key, the ODO shows 6 dashes, and then they disappear one by one from left to right, then the light goes out and the ODO reading comes back. Sweet.

Thanks Kelly!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my check engine light is on all the time. was told it was the gas cap even tho I put it on tightly and it does it every time. I just gave up. cant affoard to have toyota reset it all the time. wish it would just stay OFF!!!!! :evil:

·
Registered
302 Posts
mama2mrs said:
my check engine light is on all the time. was told it was the gas cap even tho I put it on tightly and it does it every time. I just gave up. cant affoard to have toyota reset it all the time. wish it would just stay OFF!!!!! :evil:
the "Check Engine Light" and the "Maintenance Light" are completely two different warning lights.....

the "Maintenance Light" comes on every 5,000 miles since your last oil change...at least that is how it is supposed to do unless nobody reset it the last time you had oil change.

and the "Check Engine Light" is a more serious problem which concerns your engine....you can have Autozone or PEP Boys do a free diagnose of what the error code and have them interpret it for you.....from there you will know what is actually wrong and have it fixed right away.

hope this helps! GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
24 Posts
maintenance light on startup

Hi folks, so nice to find so many helpful people here.

Just a simple question, I've noticed recently that my Maintenance Required Light is on (just over 8,000 miles) and stays on a bit longer after start up, at least until I put it in gear, than I recall it doing. I have not gone to rest the light, it may be possible that it was not reset on my last oil change, at about 7300, the first change was at about 3100. Would resetting the light solve this, or is this normal behavior to others?

TIA

Ken

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yes, i guess it would be best to reset the Maintenance Light....just follow the procedure above and you will be set...

somebody forgot to reset your light when they did an oil change....it is not to late though....nothing to worry since you usually have your oil change around 3,000 miles just make sure that on your next oil change have them reset it this time....

cheers!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
it works!

just as a follow up, after the 5,000 mile mark from my first oil change, my maintenance light came on full time, so I reset it just like the instructions, that seemed to have solved the problem, must have been not reset the last time.

Have a great holday to all those who celebrate!

Best
Ken

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
One thing that bugs me about that light is that it appears you can't reset it ahead of time. Have to wait until it comes on. Since my maintenance schedule is out of sync, the light's pretty useless.

I liked the reminder in my '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Could reset it anytime and it let you pick an interval.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
nouse4aname said:
the light's pretty useless.
I agree. It brings a new meaning to the old term "idiot light". I keep an Excel spread sheet on each of my five vehicles to track maintenance, repair or modifications, expenses, mileage, etc.

Maybe it helps others, but this light is of absolutely no value to me. 8)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reset mileage notice?

If some clown:mad: at the another dealership reset the maintenance light to go off every 3000 miles instead 5000 miles, how do I change this back to a number I feel it should be; in this case the cars manual and manufacturers recommended number of miles, every 5000.:confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts