Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this site and it has already been paid off in saving me money so thank you!

I purchased a 2010 Rav4 4-cyl with 40k miles 3 years ago. Its due for a 60k maintenance service. I have been doing regular oil/filter changes and I believe that is all it has gotten from the previous owner. Looking at the maintenance schedule particularly dealing with fluids, the manual states to inspect the fluids at different mileage intervals, i.e. transmission, transaxle, differential, etc. but not change. It does say to change the coolant at 100k but not the others. At what mileage should the other fluids be changed? It seems to be different for other manufacturers and it seems newer cars need less changing? Any guidance would be appreciated and thanks for looking.

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
I have the brake fluid flushed and renewed every three years. I got into the habit from owning Hondas which recommends it. I do not believe the lifetime transmission fluid and would change it prior to 100K miles......well prior.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I'm new to this site and it has already been paid off in saving me money so thank you!

I purchased a 2010 Rav4 4-cyl with 40k miles 3 years ago. Its due for a 60k maintenance service. I have been doing regular oil/filter changes and I believe that is all it has gotten from the previous owner. Looking at the maintenance schedule particularly dealing with fluids, the manual states to inspect the fluids at different mileage intervals, i.e. transmission, transaxle, differential, etc. but not change. It does say to change the coolant at 100k but not the others. At what mileage should the other fluids be changed? It seems to be different for other manufacturers and it seems newer cars need less changing? Any guidance would be appreciated and thanks for looking.
Over here in Canada Toyota actually tells us what to service at a certain mileage.
ATF change every 72 months/ 96,000km
Differential (4WD) & Transfer Case change every 48 months /64,000 km *
*Every 24 months/32,000 km if towing,short trip less than 5 km, dusty road , mountain road
Iridium Spark plugs replace every 192,000 km but you can change it sooner if you want better performance.

There is no mention of brake fluid to change but you can not tell the condition sometimes by looking at it. The best thing is to buy a brake fluid tester on Amazon or Ebay for $7 that tells how much water is in the system. That way you don't need to guess when to change the fluid. I just replace what is in the brake fluid reservoir but others may go to the extra step of flushing it through the bleeder valve also.

Also change the cabin filter yearly. (every 16,000km) The engine air filter can be changed around 60,000 km or sooner if road conditions are dusty.

Note no power steering fluid to change since there is no hydraulic p/s pump since it is a electric p/s system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts