Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I went in to the dealership to commence my second attempt for the oil consumption. I said while it's there please have a look at the rear end, when I turn right and accelerate quickly the back end hops and driving at 80kms hr there is a vibration that only lasts for a bit and also when reversing there is a slight clicking sound and when driving slow there is a faint constant clunk. They said of course. They even got me to do a maintenance pkg so generally they would look over the whole vehicle.

Received a call from them, they say two techs have taken it out and can't hear or see anything wrong except that my front brakes are at 2mms. I said are you sure. They looked at it again and they came back with saying it is because I have 16" (my winters) on the car and I should stick to original size. I said impossibly, since owning the car I've run 16s every winter. Then they say also you're running non oem steelies and that they couldn't guarantee my safety with them as they are lug centric non Toyota wheels which are causing the vibration. I replied, I've been using aftermarket winter rims since the day we got the car. Picked up the car and of course driving home (I live 5 min drive from them) I heard and felt all those issues. Morons.
So I called my old neighbour he has a shop, to get the brakes done. Showed up yesterday, he put it on the lift and I told him about my situation with the moronship while its being lifted. he walked over to the rear right wheel spun it, walked over to the left rear spun it then walked to the driveshaft. he said this is your problem. rear Ujoint was failing and very loose. Within 30 seconds he found the issue. The moronship looked at it over and over spent a whole day with it and nothing wrong.
There was so much play in the Ujoint it was scary. It was actually shiny from friction. 3 hours later I have my front brakes done, rear brakes serviced, throttle body cleaned and new to me driveshaft installed. (He found a refurbished one with grease fittings at the Ujoints.
Driving it home I pulled over and sent my buddy a text saying "I have a major issue.... my rav is too quiet now" It was like driving a new Rav. I was really getting frustrated with this car but this had made me appreciate it again.

Rant over.....

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Glad that this mechanic is knowledgeable.

May I ask the contact info of your mechanic friend. I might want him to check a strange vibration I am getting.
Might be worth a shot.

Thanks

·
Registered
310 Posts
Not surprising at all and quite common it seems. Your story sounds unique though. Usually they would find the issue and then add a few more things to the list ,which you didn't need. For them not to see the problem , tells me they didn't even look. I would go back to the dealership and speak with the maintenance manager, then never go back there again.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Not surprising at all and quite common it seems. Your story sounds unique though. Usually they would find the issue and then add a few more things to the list ,which you didn't need. For them not to see the problem , tells me they didn't even look. I would go back to the dealership and speak with the maintenance manager, then never go back there again.
Agree. I'd also send a letter to the management of the place and suggest they hire some mechanics for their service department.:mad:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Agree. I'd also send a letter to the management of the place and suggest they hire some mechanics for their service department.:mad:
Good idea!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts