Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my brand new 06 Rav4 for less than a week now and it already has to go in the shop. It has the standard 6 disc (not JBL changer). I'm driving out of town for work today and cruising along listening to a cd and all the sudden the soud goes out for a second and comes back. I thought hrmmmmm maybe it was just the cd. So I try listening to other cd's and sure enough it is doing it on all cd's at various points, the sound will all the sudden just drop out completely. So then I got annoyed with that and tried listening to the radio and it is doing it on FM too! It is really random and sometimes will be fine for 10-20 minutes and only do it one time and other times it will happen 3 or 4 times during one song. I thought maybe it had a short somewhere and it was doing it when I hit a bump in the road but it has done it stopped at red lights. The power on the unit stays on but it's just the sound dropping out. I'm currently out of town and will maybe be back tomorrow in time to take it to the dealer. If not for sure it will be at the dealer come Wednesday. This sucks! Anyone have any ideas what it could be? I'm thinking a defective radio or wiring problem?

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Sorry to hear about your stereo problems, cusack... I haven't had any issues with mine at all. As you suggest, it's probably a wiring issue, possibly as simple as the harness in the back of the head unit or amplifier.

You do not want to have to start disassembling the dashboard yourself unless you're installing an aftermarket radio. Take it to your Toyota dealer (along with your remote reprogramming question) to have a look at it -- should easily be a "bumper-to-bumper" warranty issue or if nothing else, help strengthen their customer service relations.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Definetly warranry covered. Its brand new! Don't sweat it and take it back to the dealer. Just be glad it does it all the time so that you can show them. Mot electrical issues only happen intermittently and NEVER while the service manager is riding with you..

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine did not totally cut out.but I found my system would lower in volume when I slowed down & get louder as I started to accelerate.

I found out it was the ADSL feature on the stereo.
I turned it off.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I just got back from the dealer and luckily the problem with the audio dropping out was doing it VERY bad when I got there. During one song it dropped out 6 times while listening to FM. The dealer had no idea what the problem was and said they have very little problems with the stereo's but I suspect that it was an overheating problem because it acted perfectly fine for an hour or so until it started to act up. Anyways, the dealer is ordering me another head unit but unfortunately said it will take 7-10 days before it comes in so I have to deal with this problem until then. :cry:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cusack:
I'm glad they are replacing it for you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
cusack said:
Well I just got back from the dealer and luckily the problem with the audio dropping out was doing it VERY bad when I got there. During one song it dropped out 6 times while listening to FM. The dealer had no idea what the problem was and said they have very little problems with the stereo's but I suspect that it was an overheating problem because it acted perfectly fine for an hour or so until it started to act up. Anyways, the dealer is ordering me another head unit but unfortunately said it will take 7-10 days before it comes in so I have to deal with this problem until then. :cry:
cusack, keep us posted on this.... I drove to work this morning listening to the radio and the song cut out for a split sec and came back on but have not had it ever since.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well my problem has been solved. The dealer replaced the stereo today and so far so good. The dealer said that they were really shocked the the stereo had crapped out like that because they had very very few stereo related problems. Anyways all is good now and after I left the dealer I went and had my XM Roady2 unit installed. For you guys that have the Roady2 or RoadyXT the AUX jack inside the console works MUCH MUCH better than using the built in FM modulator. and sounds a hell of a lot better.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cusack said:
Well my problem has been solved. The dealer replaced the stereo today and so far so good. The dealer said that they were really shocked the the stereo had crapped out like that because they had very very few stereo related problems. Anyways all is good now and after I left the dealer I went and had my XM Roady2 unit installed. For you guys that have the Roady2 or RoadyXT the AUX jack inside the console works MUCH MUCH better than using the built in FM modulator. and sounds a hell of a lot better.
Do you have wires hanging out of your console, or did they hardwire to the AUX somewhere else :?: Post a picture of your install please :D

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll try to post some pictures this weekend but if you lift the carpet up in the console then there is a small slotted piece of plastic that will just lift out and allow you access to go under the console so all you do is plug the cable into the aux jack, lift up that plastic piece I am talking about and then run the cable down through there alnd then along the side of the console up to the gear shifter and so on. Then depending on exactly where you want to mount it you may have to remove panels in the dash to actually get behind there. For instance my cable is 6ft long and goes from that aux plug and then comes out of my air conditioning vent with just enough to plug in to the XM unit. So the only wires that are seen is the plugs on the side of the xm unit which are the power, antenna and aux.
It's not that hard to do yourself but then again I used to be a certified Pioneer installer years and years ago but I think any of you guys could handle it. It just takes a lot of patience which is something I have lost over the years and would rather pay someone else to do (sometimes) unless I get a spark of motivation. :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you look at my photos you will see my install. I would have to go behind the dash and over and down under the console. Man that looks hard to me. I told the installer I wanted to go through the AUX, but he said I couldn't. I thought that was BS. With the JBL the Wirless FM transmitter is pretty good, but I know the AUX would be better. Did you loose too much volume compared to the CD? :D

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes that is exactly what he did is go under the dash and actually removed one panel along side the radio and then the AC vent so he could grab the wires and pull them through to come out the AC vent. It took him exactly one hour and that included running the antenna wire all the way from the back of the vehicle where the antenna is mounted and hard wiring the power inside of the dash.
The aux jack in my opinion sounds at least 5 times better than the FM modulator. Try it yourself, get a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm cable and then plug it in and try it before actually running the wire. Also what is great at least in my case is you never have to worry about changing to another station or having bleed in because I do a lot of traveling and this was a problem on other units in the past that I have used the FM modulator with and would have to switch to another station.
And to answer your question about volume, their is a good bit of volume loss anytime you use a fm modulator. When using the aux plug the audio levels are the exact same as when listening to a cd.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One last question. Is the 3.5mm the same as 1/8 inch minijack?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes it is the same. Make sure it is a stereo plug and not mono.
You can go to any Radio Shack and just ask for a 3.5 mm male to 3.5 mm male. My cable come from Wal-Mart and is in the electronics section. It is made by Belkin and cost $4.47

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I went to Best Buy and bought a 6 ft 3.5mm to 3.5mm Stereo cable. I connected to the audio out on my Xpress and the AUX input in the console. I could barely hear it and it sounded horrible. What am I doing wrong? Yes I turned off the FM transmitter on the XM radio. :oops:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hrmmm I have no idea. This may be a dumb question but you did switch it to AUX on the stereo by pressing the DISC/AUX button? Mine is a XM Roady2 so maybe yours is different and not capable of doing this. I'm not familar with this unit but I would imagine it work the same way. Is there a setting in the menu of the unit that you have to change? Have you looked in the user manual?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes it has a a CD/AUX button. You just hit it to change from CD to AUX. There is nothing in the book other than you need a different cable to do an AUX connection. It looks like I need to do an 3.5 MM to RCA connection directly to the head unit. It doesn't say anything about doing a 3.5mm Audio out to a 3.5mm Aux in. I don't see why not, but you can barely hear it at all doing the 3.5 to 3.5 connection with allot of noise to boot. :cry:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I figured out the volume issue. The FM output changes when you turn off the FM TRansmitter. The line level out was all the way down, I turned it up and got plenty of volume. The only problem is I get allot of background hiss noise. I am going to try a good quality monster cable. If that doesn't work I will probably need some kind of ground loop isolater. As is, the FM transmitter sounds much better than the AUX, I just have to turn up the volume more. Hopefully a good cable will do the trick and the AUX will sound good :wink:

·
Registered
82 Posts
let me know if the ground loop isolator works..i got one and it distorted all of the sound coming from the sat. radio. If my power source is harwired instead of using the cig. lighter, will that get rid of the alternator whine?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts