Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
as already mentioned somewhere before on this forum, toyota is not producing components on its own, toyota just assembling together various 3rd party parts and in this case one of the vendors fk'ed up (denso?), as only 2018 and some 2019 vehicles are affected.
don't panic 馃槃

Registered
as already mentioned somewhere before on this forum, toyota is not producing components on its own, toyota just assembling together various 3rd party parts and in this case one of the vendors fk'ed up (denso?), as only 2018 and some 2019 vehicles are affected.
don't panic 馃槃
This doesnt make any sense. Under this logic all manufacturers just "assemble components from third parties"

This is a pretty big fail for toyota any way you look at it. It seems like they are trying to model Boeing....

Registered
don't panic 馃槃
They don鈥檛 just assemble vehicles, they design them as well. Unless they sourced the part(s) for all of the vehicles/models affected from a single supplier, this is more than likely an engineering/design issue.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
don't panic 馃槃
Just pointing out yet another trend in the declining Toyota quality/reliability news specific to their failure to properly test fuel system components. In addition, their failure to properly monitor component quality on an on-going basis is clear.
I'm certainly not panicking, but would anyone be shocked to see the Rav hybrid on this list at this point?

Registered
I'm not panicking either but it cant be fun times right now working at toyota. They've had a rough go in the past 12 to 24 months and really need to get out in front of these quality problems.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
As we all know, quality is a process, not a destination. How is it possible that this many Toyo/Lexus vehicles could have fuel pumps just quit if continuous monitoring of critical components was being done?
Assuming these pumps are located inside the tank, Toyota and Lexus service techs better reinforce their training related to pulling gas tanks. I would guess this work will surely take precedence over our hybrid tank issues so I now predict we (2019-2020 hybrid owners) will not see a fix in 2020. Maybe Toyo will prove me wrong.

Registered
This doesnt make any sense. Under this logic all manufacturers just "assemble components from third parties"

This is a pretty big fail for toyota any way you look at it. It seems like they are trying to model Boeing....
This is how its done - at least for parts like fuel pumps. Toyota certainly has input into the design, but there not experts on fuel pumps - people like Denso and Delphi are. The pump manufacturer will take the spec from Toyota for performance (flow rates, pressure, physical shape, etc) and design the actual pump. They have the expertise about pumps, not Toyota. Its been this way for decades.

Just like Bosch and Denso understand fuel injectors, not Toyota. Or NGK understands spark plugs, or Yokohama understands tires. Much of the sheet metal is even stamped by third parties like Magna. The entire exhaust system. Seats and mirrors are assembled elsewhere, etc, etc.

Premium Member

Think Takata air bag recalls, no fault of Toyota since Toyota doesn't make the air bag, millions of vehicles have been affected by defective Takata air bag recalls. Manufacturers build the components to Toyota's spec, unfortunately they don't always provide a dependable component, there have been hundreds of Toyota recalls for different component potential failures, not any more recently than there have been in the past.

Registered
Think Takata air bag recalls, no fault of Toyota since Toyota doesn't make the air bag, millions of vehicles have been affected by defective Takata air bag recalls. Manufacturers build the components to Toyota's spec, unfortunately they don't always provide a dependable component, there have been hundreds of Toyota recalls for different component potential failures, not any more recently than there have been in the past.
At the end of the day people will hold Toyota accountable. Most people don't care who made the air bag. If the manufactures can't provide quality products, then Toyota needs to select better manufactures. With that said I don't mind companies making recalls (within reason). It's better that they make a recall, rather than sweeping the issue under the rug. Also i'm having a hard time finding a car manufacture that is immune to these sort of things.

Super Moderator
1 - 14 of 14 Posts