Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit a pothole at slow speed yesterday and made an abnormally loud bang. Now when driving about 70-100km/hr I have a major vibration coming from the rear (bad enough you can see the rear view mirror bouncing). At first, I thought maybe bent a wheel, broke a belt, or drop some weights off the tire. Took summer tires off and put the winters on, no change.

I was thinking maybe wheel bearing but I am not getting a growling noise and no change in sound turning side to side.

Anyone know what it feels like when a shock is totally gone?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Hit a pothole at slow speed yesterday and made an abnormally loud bang. Now when driving about 70-100km/hr I have a major vibration coming from the rear (bad enough you can see the rear view mirror bouncing). At first, I thought maybe bent a wheel, broke a belt, or drop some weights off the tire. Took summer tires off and put the winters on, no change.

I was thinking maybe wheel bearing but I am not getting a growling noise and no change in sound turning side to side.

Anyone know what it feels like when a shock is totally gone?
Could be a whole lot of things. You've eliminated the most obvious cause, but not sure a broken shock would cause a significant vibration. I'd say you need to get under there and check out the suspension carefully.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,718 Posts
Another possibility is a broken sway bar end link. Stand behind the car and look under. You should see 2 bolts sticking down, one on either side. If one is missing, that's the problem. They are in the red circles in this photo:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another possibility is a broken sway bar end link. Stand behind the car and look under. You should see 2 bolts sticking down, one on either side. If one is missing, that's the problem. They are in the red circles in this photo:

Thanks for the suggestion Junebug, already looked. This is almost a jumping of the rear end when going straight even on smooth roads.

When I changed the tires last night, I looked at the sway bar links, springs, control arms, and axles. All seemed to be intact, the only other thing I can think of is the shocks being gone. I thought the rear end would only start to jump if you hit a bump at speed, the tire would bump while going down the road until it stopped over a distance of smooth road. This one has me puzzled, think I am going to take the lower bolt out of both shocks tonight and see if they have any pressure.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got under the Rav last night and started looking around. Looks like the rear U-Joint on the drive shaft that I replaced 2 years ago is bad. Going to replace it today and see if that fixes the issue (keeping my fingers crossed)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Removed the U-Joint last night, one of the 4 arms was broken right off, a cap on another arm was broke. Thinking the bang I heard was not the pothole but the U-Joint breaking. Replaced it and now the Rav is smoother than ever.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Removed the U-Joint last night, one of the 4 arms was broken right off, a cap on another arm was broke. Thinking the bang I heard was not the pothole but the U-Joint breaking. Replaced it and now the Rav is smoother than ever.
Unless hitting the pothole broke the u-joint......
At any rate, glad all is well!:smile

1 - 7 of 7 Posts