Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post, greetings all! I own a 2016 RAV4 and I run a dashcam. It is plugged in the accessory outlet up front but I want it to be powered constantly, not cycle on and off with the key. At first I thought there must be a way to do this at the fuse box under the dash, you know, jump a powered circuit to the unpowered outlet circuit but I could not get it to work for the life of me. I don't know if I'm missing some detail or if I'm just stupid. Any ideas??? I REALLY need to power my dashcam constantly. Thanks in advance and it's great to be here!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Try this product. I also have this for my dashcam and it works great. Here's the link to Amazon It's called Power Magic Pro, and they also have a shut off feature incase the power drops too much on your battery which can prevent your car from starting in the morning. It's really easy to install it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. I didn't buy that exact item but I did see a $9.95 wiring kit that I'm just going to run to something that is constantly 12v under the dash. I'm not worried about discharging the battery as it is a minuscule power draw.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have not seen a wiring diagram for the Rav4 but in my 2007 Caravan one could replace the power relay that fed the lighter socket with a dummy relay with a closed contact all the time to supply power. If there is a specific relay that feeds the lighter socket only, one could then take the relay out and block the normally open contact closed. Maybe Toyota has an optional replacement relay with a always closed contact to solve this.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with 18300 miles

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's genius! My previous vehicle was an Xterra and wow there was a boat-load of online information on that. I'm surprised there aren't manuals available online for the RAV4.

·
Registered
202 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
See the sticky in 4.4 Interior Every wire and its location.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like your bug deflector, I see that Autozone has one for $40, any insights into that particular brand or other general insight regarding bug/hood deflectors?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you found a solution to your problem, and if you have let me know as I too would like constant power to some or all power adapters... Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the solution is to run a hot wire from the battery, fused, to under the dash and use it for what you need. That's what I'm going to do. I'm sure there must be a hot up there that does not cycle with the ignition but this Toyota is so tight I can't get to a thing.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
This was pretty easy in the 4.3 models. There is a relay under the left side kick panel that controls the center console and rear cargo bed outlets. I just replaced that relay with a "chair" adapter, which happened to have contact blades in precisely the right configuration. The outlet on the dash remains ignition controlled however.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-conduct-tite-double-male-with-.250-in.-tabs-interior-piggyback-disconnect-chair-adapter-85614/22141311-P

I just made sure to cover the "back" of the chair with some shrink wrap as it sticks out from the socket and is hot and not insulated. I wonder if the Rav 4.4 uses a similar relay, if so this would work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WJBertrand: Is there a momentary cutoff when you start the car? That is what this whole exercise is about in my case as I need uninterrupted power. I did connect to an always on circuit in the fuse panel but when you start the car it cuts off and I can't have that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts