Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Make sure the passenger seat belt light and passenger airbag light comes on

10K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  menesesal 
#1 ·
Recently, we posted our 2011 RAV4 for sale and during the test drive, the potential buyer noticed the airbag OFF indicator light for the passenger was on and the passenger seat belt light was not blinking even though there was a passenger sitting in it.

I grabbed my scantool and scanned the SRS system but there was no DTC. I then read the SRS data streams and noticed that the system was detecting that the seat belt was latched and classified the front passenger as being a child. I unbuckled and buckled the belt a few times but computer thought it was buckled the entire time.

At this time, I looked under the seat and traced the wire from the buckle back to the connector. After unplugging it, the passenger seat belt light started blinking and of course, the airbag light on the dashboard illuminated.

Went to the Toyota dealer and order a new latch for $45. You might be able to change the latch without removing the seat but it's much easier taking the seat out and replacing it. Only requires a 14MM and a screwdriver. Make sure to disconnect your battery and wait 90 secs prior to removing the seat.

Hope this information will help someone.

I think there should be a fail safe system put in place for situations like this. I would've never known about it. I'd scanned the computer before listing it for sale and everything was clear.

Part number

Fixed

You will get these codes stored in the SRS computer module from removing the seat but as long as you plug back all the connectors, the airbag light on the dashboard will turn off by itself and the code will only show up as a HISTORY code (if you are unable to clear the code from history).

See less See more
#2 ·
Recently, we posted our 2011 RAV4 for sale and during the test drive, the potential buyer noticed the airbag OFF indicator light for the passenger was on and the passenger seat belt light was not blinking even though there was a passenger sitting in it.

I grabbed my scantool and scanned the SRS system but there was no DTC. I then read the SRS data streams and noticed that the system was detecting that the seat belt was latched and classified the front passenger as being a child. I unbuckled and buckled the belt a few times but computer thought it was buckled the entire time.

At this time, I looked under the seat and traced the wire from the buckle back to the connector. After unplugging it, the passenger seat belt light started blinking and of course, the airbag light on the dashboard illuminated.

Went to the Toyota dealer and order a new latch for $45. You might be able to change the latch without removing the seat but it's much easier taking the seat out and replacing it. Only requires a 14MM and a screwdriver. Make sure to disconnect your battery and wait 90 secs prior to removing the seat.

Hope this information will help someone.

I think there should be a fail safe system put in place for situations like this. I would've never known about it. I'd scanned the computer before listing it for sale and everything was clear.

Part number

Fixed

You will get these codes stored in the SRS computer module from removing the seat but as long as you plug back all the connectors, the airbag light on the dashboard will turn off by itself and the code will only show up as a HISTORY code (if you are unable to clear the code from history).
do you have the torque requirements for installing the buckle and re-installing the seat?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.