Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a 4dr safer for pets? I have two mid size dogs that easily fit into the rear section, but with all the stories in R4W about accidents, it doesn't sound like the safest place for them if the car gets rear-ended.

I tried folding the seats back and ended up with one dog in the rear and one on top of the seats, making vision a bit difficult. I have considered having one on the back seat and one in the rear, but that still leaves the possibility of the one on the back seat going through the window.

Removing the rear seats entirely is a possibility.

Any ideas? Does anyone else have similar worries?

·
Registered
106 Posts
We travel with our 3 Aussies in our RAV at least 3 times a week. We have pulled out both rear seats and have three cages back there. Two of which are accessable through the rear door and the other throught the 2nd door/drivers side.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. The barrier looks like a good deal and is nice and easy to instal/remove.

I like the idea of taking the rear seats out at a later stage. Chucks97, what is underneath? I'm thinking thin carpet and then metal. Did you put padding down? Also, do the dogs ever sit in the back without cages?

·
Registered
106 Posts
No, the dogs never go in a vehicle without being in a cage. When I get home tonight I could snap off some pictures of how the cages are arranged.

The two rear cages are on the factory carpet, while the cage directly behind the two front seats rests on a platform I built.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the pics. Neat set-up. And there's still space left over, which is good. I've got two large wooden crates that could only go in with the seats taken out, but I wouldn't use them for travel; they're too confining and there's bad memories for the dogs of a very long and scary trip from Oz. At least with a metal cage they can see out.

Thanks again for responding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts