Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! Thanks for letting me be part of this great Forum! This is my first post! have been a lurker here for some time and have learned a great deal before I made my purchase. I hope to give back a little by documenting all the work and modifications I will be doing on my new Blizzard Pearl 2019 RAV4 Hybrid XSE! (I have all the option packages, Tech, weather, and sunroof)

I have done build threads on other forums for a few cars in the past with my most recent being my 2015 Corvette. For anyone interested, The link is HERE

I just turned in my Chevy Volt which was on a lease. It was a great car, but decided to get a little bigger vehicle and since we have had so much great luck with our 2012 Prius V (Just hit 150,000 miles!), I decided on the new RAV4 Hybrid.

I asked the dealer not to touch the car when it arrived to the dealership (So they would not run it through the paint scratch wash) and also not to install the front license plate. Unfortunately they decided to install the front plate bracket anyways!!! I was pretty mad!, but I will be documenting that fix as part of this thread!

Here is my current list of planned and completed mods in no particular order. (I will add more as I think of them!)

1. Change chrome lug nuts to black
2. Change silver valve stem sleeves to black
3. Swap wheel center caps with ones that have all black Toyota logo
4. Change fog light bulbs to white LED
5. Change all incandescent interior lights to LED
6. Paint Calipers (Have not decided whether to paint black or Blizzard Pearl)
7. Add Toyota Black badge overlays
8. Full Paint protection clear film for front of car
9. Add black back bumper and liftgate covers
10. Add Hood lift struts
11. Replace incandescent backup lights with LED
12. Add Toyota all weather mats for passenger area and cargo area (HERE)
13. Add cargo net (HERE)
14. Install ScanGauge 2 with all 2019 RAV4 Hybrid X-guages!
15. Install Owlcam Dashcam!
16. Remove Pedestrian Alert sound (I know...I know this is controversial)
17. Add various interior carbon fiber overlays
18. Add Black carbon fiber tailpipe ends
19. Complete exterior detail with paint correction and ceramic coating...Wheels too...
20. Add Bumper Plugs to cover up the front license plate holes.
21. Install the "RAV4 Screen" to protect the AC condenser.
22. Add a 360 Birdseye view to the car. (factory or aftermarket)

I have done a bunch of the above mods already and will be documenting them in greater detail in the later posts.

Here is a sneak preview after the exterior paint correction, ceramic coating, and a few other mods!....Very happy so far!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on your new vehicle. Will you be doing the clear film protection yourself?
Thanks! Yes..I will be doing the install myself. I have done some smaller installs of this nature, so I am confident I can pull this larger project off with out throwing away the 300.00 pre-cut kit! ;)

-M

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello! Thanks for letting me be part of this great Forum! This is my first post! have been a lurker here for some time and have learned a great deal before I made my purchase. I hope to give back a little by documenting all the work and modifications I will be doing on my new Blizzard Pearl 2019 RAV4 Hybrid XSE! (I have all the option packages, Tech, weather, and sunroof)

I have done build threads on other forums for a few cars in the past with my most recent being my 2015 Corvette. For anyone interested, I will post that link in a later post.

I just turned in my Chevy Volt which was on a lease. It was a great car, but decided to get a little bigger vehicle and since we have had so much great luck with our 2012 Prius V (Just hit 150,000 miles!), I decided on the new RAV4 Hybrid.

I asked the dealer not to touch the car when it arrived to the dealership (So they would not run it through the paint scratch wash) and also not to install the front license plate. Unfortunately they decided to install the front plate bracket anyways!!! I was pretty mad!, but I will be documenting that fix as part of this thread!

Here is my current list of planned and completed mods in no particular order. (I will add more as I think of them!)

1. Change chrome lug nuts to black
2. Change silver valve stem sleeves to black
3. Swap wheel center caps with ones that have all black Toyota logo

5. Change all incandescent interior lights to LED

9. Add black back bumper and liftgate covers

11. Replace incandescent backup lights with LED

14. Install ScanGauge 2 with all 2019 RAV4 Hybrid X-guages!

20. Add Bumper Plugs to cover up the front license plate holes.
21. Install the "RAV4 Screen" to protect the AC condenser.

Your XSE looks great! Do you have any links for some of these?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I did a pre-cut wrap on my last vehicle. Hood and mirrors were easy I ran into problems with the front bumper with its many angles. I was thinking of doing it on my 19 RAV4 hybrid.

Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes..I have links for all the parts that I have bought and will be posting them when I write up the DIY for each of the topics.

-M
Do you plan on adding third-party 360 camera? Or know if that's even possible. I would love to get the XSE but may need to get the Limited since I absolutely need the 360 camera.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you plan on adding third-party 360 camera? Or know if that's even possible. I would love to get the XSE but may need to get the Limited since I absolutely need the 360 camera.
You bet I have thought of that...I was able to add a multiple cameras to my Corvette using a "Navtool" device (navtool.com) However, I fear that the factory 360 feature is has its tentacles everywhere in the car (i.e, additional cameras embedded in the mirrors, different software, additional electrical harneses, etc...) which would make it difficult to add to the car after the fact. It does look like there are aftermarket devices to add a 360 Birds eye view to any car.....Like THIS....the key will be integrating the image into the factory nav screen...I will be adding it to my list! Thanks!

Could you explain number 21
Yes...This is a screen that blocks road debris from penetrating the lower fascia where the radiator and condenser are more exposed. I ordered mine from HERE. Once I receive it, I will be posting here on how to install.

Thanks,

-M

·
Registered
14 Posts
You bet I have thought of that...I was able to add a multiple cameras to my Corvette using a "Navtool" device (navtool.com) However, I fear that the factory 360 feature is has its tentacles everywhere in the car (i.e, additional cameras embedded in the mirrors, different software, additional electrical harneses, etc...) which would make it difficult to add to the car after the fact. It does look like there are aftermarket devices to add a 360 Birds eye view to any car.....Like THIS....the key will be integrating the image into the factory nav screen...I will be adding it to my list! Thanks!

Yes...This is a screen that blocks road debris from penetrating the lower fascia where the radiator and condenser are more exposed. I ordered mine from HERE. Once I receive it, I will be posting here on how to install.

Thanks,

-M
I'll be doing this also now !
Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today I will start with the first thing I did after I got the car. Installing the Toyota All season floor and cargo mats. I know this is not a riveting subject since installing these mats is not difficult. However, I do want to show the back seat protector installation and how I treated the rubber to keep it looking good!

I ordered them off of ebay and received them in 3 days!

Front and rear floor mats were ordered HERE. Cargo Mat ordered HERE. Note: there are two different versions of the cargo mat depending on whether you have the subwoofer or not. I did have the subwoofer.

As I said installing the floor mats is super simple and they fit great! (I'll add these pics later...somehow I am missing the ones I took during install!)

Next thing I did was install the back seat protector. It installs very easy via velcro strips and circles. I did not cut out the child restraining seat cutouts, since my kids are grown!

I like to use Poorboys leather stuff to condition the rubber and give it a nice finish. It can be ordered from HERE. I used a microfiber sponge to wipe it on the surface evenly. You can see the difference between the treated and untreated surface.

Next I in Installed the cargo mat and treated it!

I then added a basic cargo net I bought HERE.

For now, I am off to work! More later!.

Thanks,

-M

·
Registered
103 Posts
Good luck as I'm thinking that would be one option that to add the wiring harness cost +labor, grill w/camera, mirrors w/cameras, and the software integrated into one of the computers to stitch the images from 4 cameras together may cost as much as or more than buying a Limited that came with it. That said, I have the option and love it. Especially great when backing into a space perfectly w/parking stripes equal on both strips. Will make a person a 'professional' parker LOL.

Yes..I have links for all the parts that I have bought and will be posting them when I write up the DIY for each of the topics.

-M

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
This is Part 1 about how I detailed the car and it will focus mainly on washing and prepping the clear coat and paint for polishing and ceramic coating. (Warning: Long post!)

Part 2 will cover polishing and ceramic coating.

As I stated in my first post, I did not want the dealer "detailing" my car after it arrived at the dealership. Mainly because most dealers do more harm to the clear coat and paint with their "detailing" methods. (i.e. running it through the automatic scratch wash, or having some kid do a one bucket wash and scratch the paint up with the dirt from the car!) But I digress.....(yes I am fanatical about detailing!)

The first step in detailing the car is to give the car a nice two bucket wash. What is a two bucket wash?? Here is a good write-up from Jay Leno's Garage. (with a few of my changes) I have added some amazon links for some of the items mentioned. I also get a lot of my detailing supplies from autogeek.com

Rule 1 – The Two-Bucket Wash Method
It is absolutely essential that you utilize two buckets when washing your car. Let’s think for a second on how you’re currently washing. I’ll bet you’re grabbing a single bucket, filling it with soap & water, grabbing your rag, spraying the car down, then going to town; constantly dunking your dirty rag into the same wash bucket. All the while, you’re mixing your clean wash water with the dirt and grime you just removed from the car’s surface. Your wash rag/mitt becomes impregnated with dirt, in turn transferring that dirt BACK to the vehicle’s surface, and slowly but surely scratching, marring, and dulling the painted surface.

Thankfully there’s an easy and effective fix to this issue. Instead of a single bucket, we recommend using two. One bucket for your soapy wash water (wash bucket), the other should be where you put your used wash towels. I use 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot.

Rule 2 – Grit Guards

Grit Guards Like THIS are relatively recent additions to the car washing tool box. A Grit Guard is an insert that is placed into the bottom of your wash buckets. They allow the dirt to sink to the bottom of the bucket.

Rule 3 – The Soap
Choosing the correct soap to wash your car with is another critical choice that will dictate the amount of work washing your car takes. Whatever soap you choose, make sure to never use dish soap for washing your car! Dish soap contains powerful detergents that will not only strip the dirt, oil and grime from your vehicle’s paint but also any wax protection you may have applied previously. Instead, choose a high-quality, PH-balanced soap that is designed specifically for cleaning painted surfaces. My favorite is Mr. Pink!

Rule 4 – The Wash Towel
It is imperative to invest in a quality wash mitt or wash towels. I am a big fan of THESE towels. I use about 5 or 6 for each wash. I soak them thoroughly and then lightly drag them across the surface of the paint. Applying very light pressure when needed.

Rule 5 – The Drying Towel
Do not overlook the drying step. Most folks will simply grab an old, cotton bathroom towel to do the job. But fabrics like cotton are typically too aggressive to use on your car’s paint and can also leave behind dreaded swirls and scratches. Instead, I use this DRYING TOWEL These provide an extra-soft, super absorbent solution to aid in drying your vehicle. And the best part is, they won’t harm your car’s painted surfaces.

The Process:
Do not wash the car in direct sunlight. Thoroughly rinse the car with your hose using a strong blast of water. I like using my pressure washer with a wide spray.

Soak your wash towels in your wash bucket, and wash from the top of the car, then work your way down – roof, windows, hood, trunk, front & rear, sides, then wheels, tires and wheel wells last (use a separate, dedicated brush to clean wheels, tires and wheel wells). I use one towel per side of the car and one for the roof. Place the each dirty towel in the "used" bucket.

Rinse the car after each major section to help avoid soap drying on the surface.
Once each section is completely clean, you can move onto the final step, drying the car. Using very light pressure, start at the top of the car, and work your way down with your drying towel.

As a side note: I also am a big fan of using a foam cannon to soap up the car. It can do a great job removing the tough dirt with out having to rub the surface of the paint excessively. However, the two bucket wash is a great place to start!.

Once I washed my new RAV4, I moved on to eliminating the RAIL DUST!!!.

What is Rail Rust:

Rail dust is a term used to describe tiny metal particles that have embedded themselves into your clearcoat. The term was originally used to describe dust that comes off of railroad rails. When vehicles are transported via train (Like my RAV4 was from California to the Midwest) there is a lot of friction between the rails and the train wheels. Both parts are outside at all times so they have a built up level of rust on them. This rust flies into the air in dust particles when the train is moving. Eventually these particles settle on the vehicles being transported. They embed themselves into the clearcoat and still continue to rust causing tiny red or rust colored spots in the clearcoat. Vehicles that are transported uncovered (like most cars!) are usually worse because of the finish being heated by the sun.

Rail dust does not just come from transportation though. It can come from almost anywhere; rust particle on the road from other cars, from nearby train tracks, from your disk brakes, or even from industrial areas. These particles can be very hard to remove but if you take a few special steps the removal process can be a lot easier and less time consuming.

So how do you remove the rail dust? Note: normal washing of the car will not remove the rail dust. Here's how I removed it from my new RAV4!

First you will need this product from Gyeon. GYEON Quartz Q²M Iron. I am a big fan of using Gyeon products so you will see me mention many of their products in this thread. You will most likely need 1000ml bottle to complete the process on the entire car and the wheels.

One panel at a time, out of direct sunlight, you will want to spray the panel with the Iron Remover. You should wear nitrile gloves and eye protection when using this product. It will not smell good! You will want to let it dwell on the surface for 3-5 minutes. During that time you will notice the product working as you will see the rust being lifted from the surface as purple streaks or dots. Like this!

After you wait 3-5 minutes rinse the panel off with a strong stream of water. You will be amazed at the amount of iron dust that will come off the car. I sure was!!

Continue to follow the same steps on each panel of the car. Be sure to rinse each panel very thoroughly.

Once the Iron removing has been completed, you will need to use a nanoskin sponge to remove any remaining surface contaminates. This is also known as claying the car. Many people use an actual piece of clay to remove the contaminates, but I find using a nanoskin sponge works better and it can be re used multiple times. This is the one I use HERE. You will also need to use a lubricant such as Gyeon Clay Lube. You will spray the lube on one panel at a time and lightly run the nanoskin sponge over the paint surface. Make sure you use enough lube! Using just water as Lube will not work.

Once the entire car has been "clayed" with the nanoskin sponge, re-wash the entire vehicle and dry. You will then be able to feel how much smoother the paint surface is and you will be ready for Part 2 of the detailing process: Polishing and Ceramic coating. Stay tuned for Part 2 coming in a post soon!

-M

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bravo on "Rail Rust"!! Man, you are awesome and Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge. We just noticed the "rusty" tiny spots on the back of my MDX, and we had no clue where they came from. I was about to start googling about it! I am following this thread for sure!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Had the rail dust on my last white vehicle knew the vehicle was not rusting because it was showing up on plastic pieces also.

I just never knew how to remove it thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Once the exterior of my new RAV4 was clean, it was time to install the Toyota Blackout emblem overlays I ordered from an online Toyota parts house. The Part number for the RAV4 XSE Hybrid is: PT948-4219B-02. The were around 120.00.

This is what they will look like when you get them. Also in the picture are the few other items you will need to use when installing the overlays. Rubbing alcohol, and a Micro Fiber towel.

Next put some alcohol on the microfiber towel and wipe down the existing emblem to remove any contaminants and ensure a good bond.

The new black overlay is very thin and fragile, take care not to damage it during the install process.

Next, you will peel off the VHB Tape (Very High Bond) There is a tab that will allow you to start the removal. Go very slowly so all the tape comes off at the same time.

Start at the top and bring the overlay down over the existing emblem slowly and then press the emblem in place from the center moving outward to the ends of the overlay. Then repeat for all other overlays!

This a very simple mod, but I think it looks amazing on the car. It should have come this way from the factory.

Enjoy!

-M

1 - 20 of 173 Posts
About this Discussion
172 Replies
43 Participants
managerman
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing