Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

321 - 326 of 326 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
It still amazes me that in 2019 not all the bulbs in this car are LED. So of course I have changed out all the incandescent bulbs to LED. I am going to split my LED light post into 4 separate posts. 2 for Exterior and 2 Interior. I need to do this due to the fact I can only attach 10 pictures to any given post. This post will focus on the exterior bulb replacements. Including:

Front turn signals ---> Front LINK
Backup lights ---> LINK

The backup up bulbs are very easy to replace. I used a small plastic trim tool to remove the plastic panels that are located on the inside of the rear lift gate. (if you don't have a set of plastic trim tools, HERE is a good set to have)

View attachment 145142

The bulb holder easily twists out and the bulb just pulls out and the new one slides right in!

View attachment 145141

Make sure you test it before you button everything up. In some cases if it does not light you may need to flip the bulb around in the socket. You will need a second person to engage reverse and hold the brake while you test the light. The LED bulbs are much brighter!

View attachment 145144

Next up is the front turn signal bulbs. The key to replacing incandescent turn signals with LED bulbs is you will need to account for the hyperflash (super fast flashing) and potential error messages from the computer. Luckily LED bulb manufacturers have begun to include the load resistors to eliminate the hyperflash and any computer errors. I have selected bulbs (links above) that work great in the RAV4

Replacing the front turn signals is also very simple as the sockets are easily reachable at the front of the engine bay. The bulb socket twists out and then you can pull out the socket and the bulb.

View attachment 145145

The front LED turn signal replacements have a bulb part that pushes into the socket and a part that connects to the wiring harness.

View attachment 145146

It will take a bit of force and wiggle to seat the bulb in the socket. but this is what it will look like after it is installed. Test the bulb before you insert it into the socket.

View attachment 145147

Next you will plug in the other end of the bulb into the wiring harness.

View attachment 145148

You will need to protect the connection into the wiring harness so water cannot get in. I used some water sealing tape I had from another project.

View attachment 145149

View attachment 145150

Then finally I used some heat resistant fabric tape to make sure the wiring harness was secure. Repeat these steps for the other side and your done! These lights are super bright and are so much better than the incandescent bulbs!

View attachment 145151

The next post will tackle the Rear turn signals and Fog lamps!

-M
How are the front turn signal LED bulbs holding up? Have you had any issues with hyper flashing, or overheating?

·
Registered
135 Posts
How are the front turn signal LED bulbs holding up? Have you had any issues with hyper flashing, or overheating?
I have these awesome LEDs installed for my front turn signals. No hyper flash, no over heating. I bought two sets because I wanted to install for the rear, but decided not to because I didn't want to take off the tail lights. So rocking LEDs in the front and condescent bulbs in the rear, I have no issues. Selling them if interested, they are brand new and have never been used. Here's my post in this forum

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

321 - 326 of 326 Posts