Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

121 - 140 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Miscellaneous mods for today!

Real carbon fiber License plate holder. LINK

This is a very nice holder and is real carbon fiber. Comes with all the hardware with screw caps.

Interior cup holder and platform rubber overlays - Blue. These are very nice and look great in the cabin with the blue accents! There are many pieces and is a complete kit. I am only going to show a few of them so you can get the idea how they look. LINK

I could not figure out where these two pieces went....I think they may be for a non-hybrid??

As always more to come!

-M

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
For those who want the blue center console tray to match the XSE interior, here is the link:

PS: many of the items you find on Amazon comes from aliexpress or alibaba
Thank you! I was looking for that! Ordered!

-M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
hey for the AC Rad protector/grille, does it require a removal of the front bumper? is there a step to step guide or vid?
It does not for the lower part. I received my RAV4 screen a couple days ago and installed it. Post to come later today with install pics and instructions.

To access the upper part looks like you just need to remove the same plastic piece that gains you access to the pedestrian speaker. I think there is a post here somewhere showing how to DIY the upper part. I will confirm that later too!

-M

·
Registered
86 Posts
It does not for the lower part. I received my RAV4 screen a couple days ago and installed it. Post to come later today with install pics and instructions.

To access the upper part looks like you just need to remove the same plastic piece that gains you access to the pedestrian speaker. I think there is a post here somewhere showing how to DIY the upper part. I will confirm that later too!

-M

oh i thought there is a only a lower part. so there are actually 2 parts? i might only need the lower part though, but do they also require any drilling? i hate drilling in my car.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Miscellaneous mods for today!

Real carbon fiber License plate holder. LINK

This is a very nice holder and is real carbon fiber. Comes with all the hardware with screw caps.

View attachment 145321

View attachment 145322

Interior cup holder and platform rubber overlays - Blue. These are very nice and look great in the cabin with the blue accents! There are many pieces and is a complete kit. I am only going to show a few of them so you can get the idea how they look. LINK

View attachment 145323

View attachment 145327

View attachment 145324

View attachment 145325 View attachment 145326

I could not figure out where these two pieces went....I think they may be for a non-hybrid??

View attachment 145328

As always more to come!

-M
FYI...the ones for the rear center cup holders keep falling off. I have a 13 year old son who uses those cup holders on a regular basis. So I put a couple of small pieces of double sided tape on the bottom. Now they stay put.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Inspired by THIS thread I ordered one of these RAV4screens form HERE and paid around 35.00. Shout out to Quickdtoo as he made his own version HERE

The RAV4screen was very easy to install.

You will need to bend the ends of the wire ties to help them loop around factory grille

I put 5 wire ties in place and then did not tighten them fully until they were all loosely attached.

Then I tightened each wire tie and clipped the ends.

I like how quickdtoo's version looks vs. the RAVscreen, but for now it will protect the A/C condenser. I also will be looking at adding a screen to the upper portion on the inside of the grille!

-M

·
Registered
239 Posts
Cash70,

Your car looks amazing! Nice job! I am doing some exterior mods to blackout some areas...they will be featured in a future post. As far as the black center wheel cap goes, THIS is the one I have seen online, but not sure it will fit. I guess I just need to order one and find out!

-M
FYI...the black center wheel caps are a no go. Too small.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #132 (Edited)
Time for some tech mods! Which are always my favorite! The two tech mods I installed:

1. Scangauge II
2. Owlcam 24/7 Dashcam

I ordered both from Amazon.

Techmod 1: Scangauge II

I have been using a Scangauge II for the last 7 years in my 2012 Prius V. It is a great device to give you insight into many of the hybrid power-train and vehicle systems that are not shown on the dash. Such as but not limited to:

Hybrid battery state of charge
Engine RPM
Power in AMPS being used and being generated from brake regen.
Engine Temp
Inverter Temps
Tire Pressure
Detailed Fuel Level

And many many...more especially with the X-gauge function which allows vehicle specific parameters to be viewed.

Here is a LINK to more detailed info on what functions that the Scangauge has.

The Scangauge is very easy to install and connects via the OBD2 port for power and data collection.

I have mine installed like this. It does not block the view of the information screen or gauges.

Here is my standard set of parameters I always have up. RPM, Hybrid Battery state of charge, Amps being used and being regen, and coolant temp.

Here is one showing the fuel level.

And really cool, is the ability to show tire pressure and tire temps....Here is a picture of the tire pressures

Here is a list of X-gauge parameters specific to Toyota vehicles. LINK

Techmod 2: Owlcam!

The Owlcam is a 24/7 Dashcam with front and rear facing cameras. It uses both wi-fi as well as 4G LTE. LTE capability is great since it can work and alert you no matter where you are.

I started using an Owlcam in my Corvette, because I was always worried when I parked it in a public parking lot something would happen to it. This camera system really gives you piece of mind as well as a visual record of any incidents that may happen while the car is driving or parked. I bought a second unit for the RAV4.

Here is some more detailed info: LINK

It is easy to install with the multiple sized mounting "arms".

The camera is powered by the OBD2 port and the thin power cable easily tucks into the upper dash where the glass meets the dash.

I use a 2 way OBD2 splitter so I can use both the Scangauge and the Owlcam at the same time. LINK

As a side note, I have found no issues having these devices connected to the OBD2 port. All remote functions also work great. Enjoy!

-M

·
Registered
29 Posts
Item 2: Rear hatch trim piece. AKA "Longhorn" $60.00. LINK

This is the before picture.

Once again I prepped the item with alcohol and adhesion promoter

Install was easy and should be done from the bottom up and then pressing from the center towards the ends

Verdict: Overall this was a good quality piece, and it looks much better than the silver trim. The Fake Carbon fiber pattern is not so great, but is acceptable.

More to come in a couple more posts...

-M
  • What do you think of trying to paint this piece gloss black? Or is it better to just leave the carbon look? Did you consider doing that? I'd rather paint this overlay piece than trying to paint on the original piece on car in case I mess it up.
Yours looks great though. Wish they sold it in glossy black.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
  • What do you think of trying to paint this piece gloss black? Or is it better to just leave the carbon look? Did you consider doing that? I'd rather paint this overlay piece than trying to paint on the original piece on car in case I mess it up.
Yours looks great though. Wish they sold it in glossy black.
I wanted the carbon look for my exterior trim pieces, however, I think with proper prep, this piece could be painted gloss black. You would need to sand, then prime, followed by two or three coats of base and then 2-3 coats of clear. It might be easier to wrap the piece in gloss black 3M 1080 vinyl. If you wrap it, you can then remove it someday if you want.

Hope that helps.

-M

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wanted the carbon look for my exterior trim pieces, however, I think with proper prep, this piece could be painted gloss black. You would need to sand, then prime, followed by two or three coats of base and then 2-3 coats of clear. It might be easier to wrap the piece in gloss black 3M 1080 vinyl. If you wrap it, you can then remove it someday if you want.

Hope that helps.

-M
Thanks I think it might turn out great if done properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did some research initially, but since it has sensors, I decided to leave it alone.
I thought I read something about sensors in that spot. Figured

How about just a rear blackout Toyota emblem? I keep seeing the whole
Blackout overlay kit. I’m thinking about removing all emblems on the back and kind of like the chrome AWD and hybrid kn the side.

121 - 140 of 171 Posts
About this Discussion
170 Replies
42 Participants
managerman
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing