Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manual key only opens driver's door. Passenger side door & trunk do not open with it.

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I beg pardon if this question sound very silly. I have a RAV4 2003 with power door lock. Purchased it as used car from the original owner. The original did not have remote key. He gave me the manual key. So, I have only the manual key.

The problem is that I cannot open the passenger side door and trunk with manual key. Every time I need to open the trunk or the passenger side door, I need to unlock them using power lock/unlock button in the driver side.

Could you please shed some lights? I would really appreciate.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
On our '06 to unlock the other doors we have to turn the manual key in the unlock direction twice. Once just unlocks the driver's door.

Reactions: rok

·
Registered
18 Posts
valet key

This sure sounds like you got a valet key, which was designated to only open the driver's door. You'll probably want to go to the dealer to get a 'real' key that opens them all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This sure sounds like you got a valet key, which was designated to only open the driver's door. You'll probably want to go to the dealer to get a 'real' key that opens them all.
Thanks a lot for the input. After you indicated the possibility of valet key, I did more search online, and it looks like I have valet key. My key only moves clockwise. It does not move counterclockwise.

Do you know if independent locksmiths will be able to do it?. I heard that dealers charge outrageous fees for master key. any suggestion?

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
If it is a valet key it won't open the glove box either.

Reactions: pico
1 - 5 of 5 Posts