Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
My name is Vince and am new to this site. I have an 06 Rav4 with a 3.5L I bought new. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything
on anyone doing a manual trans swap for this Gen Rav4. Thought I'd give it a shot. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts
Welcome! I've been here since 2010 and have never heard of it being done.

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
I think that if it's even possible the custom work, parts, and fabrication would exceed the value of the entire vehicle.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
If I recall, Toyota used to make a manual shift Camry using the same 3.5 V6 as in the RAV, so if you can find a manual gearbox a conversion might be do-able although there could be problems with the flywheel and bell housing as RAV's chips and how to mount a clutch pedal and accommodate the linkage. Here is a link to an article: https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/toyota/camry/2011/performance

·
Registered
42 Posts
This sounds like a great question for a highly skilled and experienced Toyota mechanic. I would think that the room available in the transmission and transmission cross-bar area would be critical. Parts might be available IF a donor Camry could be found that has a manual trans, as mentioned by Blogson above, that should solve the problem of finding the parts but whether or not they will actually fit in the area available to them is another question. I agree that a 5-speed manual would be great in a RAV4.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,890 Posts
All you need to do is find a transmission for a Lotus Evora. It uses the Toyota 2GR-FE 3.5L V6, just like the RAV, mated to a 6-speed Aisin manual transmission. Come to think of it, since Aisin is a Toyota subsidiary, maybe that 6-speed manual is used in other Toyotas.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The lotus is RWD, not sure if it is 1:1 a toyota transmission on it or a custom made one.

Also rather install the 6 speed manual, the 5 speeds gears are too short and on 60mph(100km/h) the Revs will stay to high.

Would be nice to see and compear an Rav4 D4d D-cat and the V6 engine blocks from the gearbox mounting side.
If any of the mounting bolts are the same.

I do know that the inline 4s have the same mounting bolt holes in europe (gasoline and diesel inline 4 engine), so you can use the manual 6 speed or the automatic on them

1 - 9 of 9 Posts